Numbers are lower. What to do?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by jim serafini, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jim serafini

jim serafini New Member

Angelo's numbers have been pretty good since Wednesday. Last couple days in the dark green. I haven't given him insulin since Wednesday and checked his BG. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've been watching for over drinking and litter use, which hasn't happened. I hate to keep poking him more than I need to if I don't have to. Could use some advice.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You need to keep testing at least once/day for two weeks. The numbers should stay in the dark greens with no more than a couple in the blues. After two weeks he can be considered a diet-controlled diabetic. He is and will always be diabetic, but if he stays on a low carb diet (including treats), avoids kibble, and stays healthy, he will hopefully have a long remission. For the rest of his life you'll want to check his BG once/week. Rising BG is one of the first signs that there is something else wrong - a dental problem, UTI, arthritis, etc. And those can throw him out of remission, so keeping an eye on BG, and responding right away if you see a higher number, can help him stay away from insulin.

The reason to continue testing for the two weeks right now is that he was overdosed for awhile. Sometimes those dramatically bad doses can make them run low for a week, or so, and then the numbers start to creep back up. If that happens, you want to catch it and restart insulin right away. So keep testing once/twice per day until you hit day 14. At that point he should be good to go.

Silvia likes this.
  3. jim serafini

jim serafini New Member

Thank you. Will do. So, appreciative of all your advice.

Djamila likes this.