Numbers going up despite insulin increase? Dose input

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katsallday, Feb 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Jekylls ketones are practically gone via blood meter but I am seeing a disturbing trend in his glucose. Every time I increase his dose he seems to have higher BG. Infact, before he was on insulin and before he was on low carb he was in the 300s. Now he's on low carb with insulin and I'm seeing 400s now?! I know insulin can take some time to work but I didn't know it would get worse? Please check his SS and let me know what you think. I'm terrified of the ketones coming back. He already has low grade neuropathy too

2. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Is he still eating dry food? It looks to me like your not sticking with the dose long enough. My boy used to ve on prozinc & he actually did well on it. He's on Lantus now & he does well with it as well. Is he on doxycycline for something? I thought I read that on your spreadsheet?

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What is the dry food you are feeding?
    Die she have access to any high carb foods at all?

4. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I was advised to increase dose early based on ketones. He is on doxy for an upper respiratory infection. He's done with doxy on Monday, 2 days from now.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Chrispooky12 because of ketones we have had to increase the dose at times sooner than normal. Katrina has been following advice about the dose

Chrispooky12 and Katsallday like this.
  6. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He *almost* went DKA because he refused wet food so he's on low carb dry, dr elseys clean protein chicken. He has 0 access to any other food besides that. He's in a bedroom alone

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

9. Chrispooky12

Gotcha :)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  10. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Any ideas on his SS?

11. Chrispooky12

His numbers could be higher because of the infection as well but you also have ketones in the picture so I don't know. I hope your boys numbers come down & you can keep the ketones away. Your doing a great job caring for your boy, it just might take more time before you see better numbers. Good luck & :bighug: from me & Panzer :bighug:

12. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Tysm, good luck to you and panzer! I'm wishing all that pancreatitis away :bighug:

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  13. Chrispooky12

How long has he been on insulin? There's no tab for 2022 & it says he was diagnosed in October 2022.

Katsallday likes this.
  14. Chrispooky12

Right now we are dealing with UTI FLUTD & I'm watching for cystitis. He hasn't had a pancreatitis bout in awhile knock on wood but thank you.

15. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He is a foster I just got 12 days ago. Old caretaker refused diet change and insulin. I finally convinced her to let me foster and find him a home when he's stable. Unfortunately he was borderline dka with a terrible respiratory infection when I got him. He still has weird issues like anisocoria but I'm praying it's not a growth in his head.

Oof uti is rough. I have a cat with stress cystitis. He has an emotional support bathroom so he can be alone and its helped so much lol but I also care for 18 cats so I understand his issue :joyful:

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Is he eating any better now that he has access to the dry food?
    As you are doing SLGS technically you hold the dose for 7 days. But with Ketones in the picture we can move a bit faster than that.
    I’m glad you increased the dose last night. Let’s see how this dose goes.
    He hasn’t been on insulin long and his body has to get used to it. Not all cats settle down early in the journey….in fact most don’t.
    How is his URI? Is it any better. That could also be playing a part in keeping the numbers higher.

Katsallday likes this.
  17. Chrispooky12

Bless your heart for taking him in...I hope he gets better soon:bighug: I've had as many as 15 cats at a time but that was when I was a teenager & my momma was a cat lady RIP. I definitely take after her, I love cats. I'm down to just my 2 boys now though & they are enough for me :cat:

18. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

He's eating amazing! His ketones have been between 0.1-0.4 since he's had access to the Dr elseys dry food. I've been taking the food away 2 hours before preshots now. I wasn't able to do that before with how bad his ketones were. His URI seems better, not gone. He certainly responded to doxy so I think I'm going to keep him on it past the 2 weeks. I do believe he has some sort of chronic rhinitis issue so protocol for that is doxy for 4-8 weeks if I remember correctly?

Tuna seemed to respond immediately to insulin, I went through a few hypos with you back then lol. He went OTJ in like 2 weeks! I guess every cat is different lol. He's still maintaining that remission though! He got into high carb a few days ago so his BG has been a bit higher :facepalm:

19. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Aw that's amazing! 15 as a kid is super impressive! I had 5 i think when i was 18. Im 32 now and 18 is my limit for a bit lol! My mom thinks I'm nuts lmao! My grandma is a bird rescuer with like 40 birds! When she passes she asked me to take all her animals which includes 3 cats oof. I told her she's not allowed to die but of course I would keep them. I imagine I'll never have less than 10 cats. I'm going through the process of starting a 501c3 charitable organization. My dream one day is to have a sanctuary where older people can bring their pets when they go into retirement homes or they pass. I can't imagine my cats having no one when I'm gone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.