OK...I am ready!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

I have all the supplies to start testing Bert's BG.
    He is not on insulin yet.

Now what nailbite_smile

Should I get his BG right now as he has not eaten since this morning?
    I am getting ready to feed him.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

give him some food or he'll be impatient with you....

3. Kathy

Kathy Member

OK...so I should feed him.
    How long should I wait to test his BG?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Since you are not on insulin, it is not so important. You are just gathering data. Just write down when he ate and when you tested.

But meanwhile, are you ready?

Rice sack ready to heat in microwave?
    Know how meter works. Tested on yourself?
    Have treats ready
    Found the sweet spot with a flashlight? (You are aiming for the capilliaries running off the vein toward the edge of the ear.)
    Have a drop of vaseline ready to put on the sweet spot. (Not imperative but handy)
    Have your spot picked out with all supplies ready/at hand?

By the way, fantastic that you are going to do this. It can be a life saver. Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time. It is not so often that we are that good. (We spent a miserable weekend trying......) Even if you don't get blood, praise and treats. And three tries and give it a rest. Then come back on and we will give more tips/ideas.

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that you will be successful right out of the gate!

5. Kathy

Kathy Member

I had all my supplies and we did just fine...not sure he loved it, but I got a reading.
    it is scaring me nailbite_smile

He ate about 20 minutes prior to testing and his BG was 304mg/dl.

I am so clueless and am really trying not to be too needy on here.
    I just do not know where to find out when I should be testing and how often and also what are good levels to have.
    I know I am only gathering info to bring to the vet, but I would like to know if the numbers a terrible or not so bad.

Sorry if I am being a pain.
    I promise after I get this down pat I will stick around(you can't get rid of me now :D ) and help others who may be in my shoes.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

You are not too needy and you are not a pain....

Congrats on your first home test!! Welcome to the vampire club...

Transformation is complete!! [​IMG]

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Fantastic! You are among a select group that got it on the first try! You have made a huge step in helping your kitty.

Yes, it's high - but not super high. Now you know you will need insulin. But you also know how to give it safely.

8. Kathy

Kathy Member

OK...I just tested him again and it was 307.

Why is it still so high?
    Last test was 6:02pm and it is now 9:16pm

I am a little freaked out here people :(

9. Kathy

Kathy Member

I also tested our other cat and he is 68, so I think the meter is correct.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He's diabetic. It is normal for a diabetic to have numbers around 300 without insulin. The change to wet food may bring his numbers down some, but few cats here have been regulated with just a food change. It usually takes insulin, but it may only take a little bit for a short time.

When are you going to start the insulin? Do you know what kind?

11. Kathy

Kathy Member

I am going to call the vet tomorrow.
    I am not sure she is going to give me any insulin as she thinks we need to bring him in for a 3 day test and I am not willing to do that to Bert.

I am going to lay it on the line here.

I am afraid of hypoglycemia
    I am afraid of ketosis
    I am afraid if we go to sleep Bert will get so sick and die :cry:

I feel like I do not know how to take care of him and he deserves more from us.
    I do not even know how to test his urine!!
    2 cats use 2 little boxes and clumping cat litter :?:
    I am mad the vet has not even started us on insulin.
    I don't know how long Bert can "wait" for the insulin.
    Am I hurting him by not brining him to the vet?

I am testing his BG, but am finding it hard to learn when I should test and what the numbers should be?

I am a mess!!
    We love this cat so much and I do not want to hurt him.

I

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay, first breathe. You are doing a great job. This is very scary at first. But remember, we were ALL feeling exactly the way you feel. And we made it through and so did our cats. We will help you!

Yes, if Bert were mine, I would insist on insulin. And I would tell the vet that I am testing at home and feel those numbers are more accurate than tests done at the office under stress. You can tell them you really want to work with them, but you are Bert's family and you want to do what you think is best for him. And you would like them to be your partner. If they won't, you will need to start looking for someone who will work with you.

Don't be scared. Having hometesting numbers is the best way to keep Bert safe. He won't become hypoglycemic because you are going to keep track of how the insulin is working. As far as the ketones, I would figure out a way to separate Bert when he is likely to go. Get him his own litter box and wait him out. It seems hard the first time, but many of us have "stalked" our cats and been way too interested in their pee and poo. You are in good company.

Keep telling us what you are afraid of and we will try to reassure you and help you. You aren't alone. The fact that you came on this site, are educating yourself and learning to keep Bert safe is perfect proof that you love him.

Did we ask where you live (City and state) Maybe someone knows a vet if you need to change.

13. gilliesisle

gilliesisle New Member

Kathy -

That's EXACTLY how I feel. One of my cats, Taz, was just diagnosed so I know where you are coming from at this terrifying moment. I can't offer anything in the way of help as I'm still very new to this and am working things through with the help of the great people on this board. I too am battling my vet over insulin - for me it's the type and the dosage. It's tough, but I'm tougher ;-) and so are you.

Lisa and Taz

14. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Congrats on home testing, Kathy & Bert!! I am soooooooo proud of you & have all the same fears!! You will be wonderful!!! Welcome :YMHUG:

15. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

OK, It's ok. BREATHE!

Next. YEAH!!!! You are testing bgs on your own!!!! That is GREAT! Pat yourself on the back.

Yes, that's a diabetic bg reading. It is NOT a death sentence. He isn't going to fall over. He may feel crappy, yes, pee a lot yes, eat a lot, yes. But you are on the road to fixing this. If you ignore it, yes, he would die an unpleasant death ... eventually. FOr now, just be glad it isn't like 600.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow.

Good. You have info for the vet.

I am not sure she is going to give me any insulin as she thinks we need to bring him in for a 3 day test and I am not willing to do that to Bert.

Tell the vet you are hometesting and if they would like to work with you using those numbers, like *many* vets do, you would would like to begin treating with insulin. If they won't hear of it, or get mad, start calling around. You can find a vet who will work with you.

I am afraid of hypoglycemia

We ALL are, BUT you are hometesting! You have just put yourself in the best possible position to never experience this. You have the best skill there is in avoiding any undue drop in BG barring some strange incident. I won't say it could NEVER happen, but it is now not likely.

I am afraid of ketosis

There generally needs to be a combination of infection and higher (though not even always really high) numbers. Some cats *are* prone. Others are not. Pearl has never thrown a ketone in all our time. Could it happen? Yes. Should you be aware of it? Yes. Should you be afraid it will happen any moment? No. You can buy ketone sticks and invade his privacy while peeing and find out if they are present. But don't *fret* over it.

I am afraid if we go to sleep Bert will get so sick and die

Yes, I know that feeling. Or leaving. I fully expected to come home to a dead cat for at least two months. I got over it. Testing helps eliminate most of that worry. I know it doesn't totally make sense right now, but it will. We will help.

I feel like I do not know how to take care of him and he deserves more from us.

OMG, yes you do! You have already made a HUGE step learning to test! I can't EMPHASIZE ENOUGH what a HUGE thing you have done for your cat right there. Hug yourself!

I do not even know how to test his urine!!

If you mean for ketones (you are bg testing so you don't need to worry about sugar testing), get the stix from the pharmacy. You can follow him to the box. If he is shy, put some plastic wrap over the litter. He'll probably just pee right on it and you can dip the stick in then. That way you also know what cat is doing what. You are probably watching him like a hawk now, you'll see him. You only need to catch him doing it once in a while. Our box is in the bathroom and my cats love to pee when I do. They love peeing someplace new. Get a little "testing" litterbox and put it in the bathroom. I *bet* he will come in to see what is up and use it while you are there. You could even just put fish tank rocks in that one so if you can't get it midstream, you can test the urine among the rocks. DIabetic cats pee a lot. You'll have plenty of chances.

I am mad the vet has not even started us on insulin.

Well, you can now go to him with further education or a vet that will work with you and say "I want to start insulin". Most vets would probably be thrilled you are saying that instead of "put him down". Any vet worth their salt anyway.

I don't know how long Bert can "wait" for the insulin.

It would be good to start him soon.
    Am I hurting him by not brining him to the vet?

You have. You need to get over worrying, just call, get an appointment, let them know you will be home testing and glad to email all results directly to the vet for advice. (But, we will ALL tell you no matter what, you need to start at 1u two times a day (BID) and if the vet gives you some outrageous starting dose, just say you are uncomfortable with that, worried about a hypo and would feel better starting low and going slow).

I am testing his BG, but am finding it hard to learn when I should test and what the numbers should be?

Normal bg ranges are around 70-120, give or take. Most times they aren't going to be considered diabetic until they are over 200 pretty consistantly. You can test *anytime*. You always want to test before a shot to make sure he isn't too low (most of us, especially in the beginning anyway, consider under 200 "too low" to shoot. That may change as you get more experience and more knowledge through your testing of what Bert does with his insulin. But for now, just consider it too low. Don't expect numbers to "be" anything. Testing is gathering data so you see the relationship between Bert, his insulin, and how his sugars behave in relation to a dose and eating (and sometimes other factors). You don't have to do it blind. Set up a spreadsheet like most of us have (see ours in my sig) and post here. Really. You'll be OK!!!

I am a mess!!

We have so all been there. Keep a lot of chocolate...or wine...or bubblebath or romantic movies...whatever is your comfort, on hand and tell us how you feel (in case everyone else in your life doesn't care or doesn't understand. We both care and understand.) It is managable (especially for you! you hometesting vampire club member before even getting on insulin you!). It is doable. You are already proactive. Bert seems proactive and is a testing champ! Man, you are LEAGUES ahead of most people when they begin insulin. TAKE A BOW! You rock.

We love this cat so much and I do not want to hurt him.

You will only be helping him. You've done so much already!

16. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Buck up sister! you CAN do this but stressing out is not going to help. You are getting the answers you are asking for, if you calm down it will make more sense. I know it is tough getting advice that is conflicting with your vet, I've been there, but you have to let your common sense come through and make some decisions. And give yourself a break - you've learned to hometest! You can now make educated decisions instead of guessing.

Look at section 6 of the faq for an idea of blood glucose ranges - go to http://binkyspage.tripod.com/ and click on FAQ

Jen :D

17. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Kathy... you are doing so well... Wow... You know what? Others have chimed in beautifully. All I can say is that without insulin, you don't have to worry about hypo... And you are testing and you know his number isn't crazy high... and you are feeding good food, right? So, right now you are a great mom, just as you always have been. Bert is going to be fine tonight...

Tomorrow is another day. And on that day you can choose one or two items from your worry list to either worry about or knock off by moving forward... So, call your vet, or another vet, and insist on insulin. You know you have to start low and you know you will be monitoring. You are sooooo far ahead of what most of us were when we began this journey.

Then, break all your worries down. Talk them out with us or your spouse, a friend or the vet....

Here's what I know:

Bert is in the best hands he could be. He has a mom that loves him and is going above and beyond to get the right treatment for him.

You have learned to hometest and dealt with food issues prior to starting insulin, so you are ahead of the game and you won't be in the dark about how well and when the insulin is working.

You have sought out and found a support group with knowledge and seemingly no need for sleep to help you with the baby steps needed to get you through the next couple of weeks.

YOU CAN DO THIS... I know that because you ARE doing it. :razz:

18. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Kathy, you really are doing amazingly. I mean, look at what you are doing and how much knowledge you have gained compared to just a week ago: you are TESTING YOUR KITTY'S BLOOD SUGAR! As others have said, that is HUGE. And you are doing it at the best possible time, BEFORE Bert starts on insulin. This way, not only will you be confident enough to do it well (or at least well on your way there) by the time it's necessary (when Bert starts insulin), but you will know the numbers and be able to be proactive in preventing hypoglycemia. And if he DOES happen to start to go too low, you will know about it and be able to bring his numbers back up because you are testing. :)

I absolutely, positively know the feeling of being afraid to go to sleep, as do many folks on here. The first 2 months of Buzz's dx, I was a wreck. I would stay up until 5 or 6 a.m., testing obsessively and watching her. She had ketones as well, and I was so worried about DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) that I would constantly poke and prod her throughout the day and night to make sure she was still alive. Although it has been almost 6 months since Buzz's dx, I can still feel the crushing fear that was those first months, and I can really empathize with you. The only thing you can do is breathe, take care of yourself (a mama with no sleep is no good to Bert, after all), and arm yourself with enough knowledge to make yourself as comfortable as possible.

One thing to keep in mind, too: don't let the diagnosis and treatment overwhelm your relationship with Bert. It so quickly becomes about BG testing and injections and litterbox stalking and vet visits and research, and that's ok because that is what needs to happen in the first bit. But don't forget that Bert is still your furry baby and he needs his special time with you like he's always had. Try to spend some time each day doing things with him that DON'T involve poking, prodding, crying, or worrying. Play with a toy with him. Sit in a sunny spot on the floor with him with no other agenda besides loving on him. It will do BOTH of you tremendous good.

Most of all, don't lose sight of the fact that you are helping Bert to live his best life. You may feel that you haven't done everything right, but none of us have. The important thing is not what you have or haven't done in the past, but what you choose to do now and how you arm yourself for battle. So far you are off to a WONDERFUL start. Please don't beat yourself up over your choices or Bert's health. You are making good decisions now, decisions that will get Bert on the path to healing.

Give yourself a giant pat on the back, and please ask any and all questions you have. :)

19. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Kathy, my cat Mally was diagnosed on 12/31/09. My vet told me to pick up some pills to give her and come back and see him in a few weeks. He also told me to take her off of all dry food and only feed her Fancy Feast. Rather than pick up the pills, I decided to research feline diabetes and found this wonderful forum. After reading and learning about the disease, I called and made an appointment to take Mally back to the vet on 1/7/10. I was hoping he would put her on insulin, but he didn't. He did a fructosamine test on her, called me the next day and told me to keep feeding her Fancy Feast and continue with the pills. I told him I had never picked up the pills and that Mally wasn't taking them. He told me to come and get the pills and start her on them right away.

Rather than put Mally on the pills that many say really don't work at all and only cause more problems down the line, I decided to find another vet to work with. I had my first appointment with the new vet yesterday and everything went very well and Mally is now on insulin.

I did some spot testing on Mally before she was put on insulin and her numbers ranged anywhere from 403 to 261. My point is that even though her numbers we high at times, she was okay. She definitely needs insulin, which she getting now, but she didn't get seriously ill during the time it took me to get a handle on things and get her to a vet that knows how to treat this illness.

You will do great with Bert. Stick to your guns and if your current vet is not on board with the treatment you prefer for your cat, find another vet. I was with my old vet for 13 years and he was good with my animals but when it came to treating Mally's diabetes, he was not the vet I wanted to stick with.

Like you I'm new to all of this. It's a lot to take in but you've got a lot of great people here ready to help any time you need it.

Good luck, Kathy! I know you and Bert are going to be just fine!!!

20. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Kathy,

I know how you feel. Last Mon when i tested spicey's bg for the first time and saw the numbers i totally wigged out. But I remembered this site and all the info here so i thought i would place a post and s ee what happens because spicey had a hypo on new years eve and cost me $500 us dollars and they wanted to keep her overnite and charge me $1100 and I couldn't afford to do that again even though I would have found a way. I even thought I was a bad parent since i don't have any kids of my own except my cats and i felt horrible because i thought i was going to have to make that decision of putting her down. I am not usually an emotional person but i was very close to tears and just wanted spicey to be healthy and not in pain.

And everybody here was patient with me and walking me thru steps so I am fairly new to Bg testing myself and spicey has been with diabetes since dec 2008. But I feel more comfortable now with all the info and help and spicey is doing so much bettter.

So please know that you have a wonderful group of people here and if you need anything Just let us know.
    You are doing great doing this from the beginning as I did not have that oppurtunity.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.