Oliver is “HI”on meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shelley & Oliver, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley & Oliver

Shelley & Oliver Well-Known Member

Morning! Started using the Relion meter this morning and Oliver registered “HI” I had never seen that before so I tested him with the meter I am accustomed to (Alpha Trak) and it also read “Hi”. Is there anything special I should do or just give him his shot after eating.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Reason for edit: Tags below
  2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi, just linking your previous post for history, given his scary hypo a few days ago.

I'm not comfortable advising since I know a few mods and others had plans for your doses to make sure he recovered safely from the hypo. You might want to tag some of the people who were helping you (by typing @ followed by the username, no space...like this @FrostD )

The HI just means he's above the range the meter can detect...in the case of the AlphaTrak I believe it's 750+, and the ReliOn is 600.

Shelley & Oliver likes this.
  4. Shelley & Oliver

Ok, thank you!!!

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

His body needs to adjust have the lows and skipped shots. All you can do is wait it out. Check for ketones. How’s he acting? Eating and drinking?

6. Shelley & Oliver

He is eating and acting more like his mischievous self than he has in awhile. Noticeably more active.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

That’s great. Were you advised to skip the night if 2/1?

8. Shelley & Oliver

Yes. I never started the night shots until just last night. This was the advice given.

9. tiffmaxee

Right. That was by the vet. He needs to adjust to dosing every cycle. He will probably need more than .50 but give him a little time first.

10. Shelley & Oliver

Not the vet. If I was following the vet I’d be giving him a lot more. I am liking this slow approach better. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

So who advised one shot a day? I’m bringing others in to help figure out what to give tonight. The 3.0 was definitely too much but I think .50 is too little. We will figure this out for tonight.

12. Shelley & Oliver

13. tiffmaxee

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  14. Shelley & Oliver

Sorry to be confusing, it was his twice daily shots at a higher dose that caused his horrible hypo incident. I tagged Wendy and Chris for now. I was talking to Wendy last ...

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Elise

Shelley didn’t have enough test strips. We wanted to be sure Oliver didn’t clear a bounce and come down drastically without testing supplies to keep him safe.

Shelley....if you have testing supplies now, we want to start increasing the dose but, since he is getting nadirs in the 200 range, we want to be a little more cautious. If you don’t see any BGs below 200 today, I’d increase his dose to 0.75u tonight provided you can test him at +2 and before bed.

If you are using the ReliOn from now on, I will convert his SS formatting for a human meter. All of his AT data will stay right where it is so we can all see it.

Critter Mom and Shelley & Oliver like this.
  16. Shelley & Oliver

Yes, will be using the Relion from now on. Thanks for updating his spreadsheet.

17. tiffmaxee

18. Marje and Gracie

You’re both welcome.

19. Marje and Gracie

I updated his SS for you. Wendy suggested, and I agree, that it’s better if you post on the Lantus/Basalgar/Levemir ISG as there are more Lantus users there to keep a watch out.

thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.