? On Novolin but no BG crash is happening - should I feed his 2+ snack?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hastings (GA) and Paula, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hastings (GA) and Paula

Hastings (GA) and Paula Member

I have finally had the chance to get my ReliOn CBG meter up and running (battery was dead, and I'd used my last CR2032 on my bike computer the month before grrr) and I got a PMPS of 544, 1 hour after feeding him dinner. I gave 2u of Novolin N. I've been following the advice here and giving him a snack at +2 and +4 after shooting because Novolin is so short acting. But at +1 he was at 527, and just now at +2 467...should I give him his first snack? It's headed the right direction but since these are the first tests I've done I have no idea what I should expect. I don't want to be behind the 8-ball if he's headed for a big drop in the next few hours, but the high numbers are scaring me. But since these are literally the first few hometests I've done I have no idea how long he's been hanging out.

Background - on Wednesday the vet is coming to show me how to apply a FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor, and give him an Rx for ProZinc.

I have Karo syrup and feeding syringes, and FF gravy lovers on hand in case of hypo.

I also have ketostix, but haven't been able to get one under his urine stream yet. (He doesn't trust me well enough yet to even look at him when he's in the box), and is actually drinking what I would consider a much more normal amount today than he has in the past. (When I first got him from the shelter, he'd drain the water bowl within a half hour of me filling it.) He's currently tussling and playing with his brother, not acting like he's feeling sick at all.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, just a small one. He's dropping pretty quickly but he has a long way to go before he'd be in any danger.

The problem with dropping fast like Novolin tends to do is it just causes the cat to bounce high again by the next shot time so I'm glad to hear you'll be switching to ProZinc soon!

3. Hastings (GA) and Paula

Thank you! As soon as he stops bullying his brother I'll take another reading and then give them their night time snack.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Hastings (GA) and Paula

348! He got a 2 oz of the plain ground turkey I'd made for some of my own meal prep this afternoon. Question - is it ok to poke them on their foot pads ever? He's ok with his ears, but his absolute favorite position to nap in is stretched across my desk with his toes hanging over my keyboard...if it's acceptable to poke a bean every so often to avoid waking him up by messing with his ears, that would help make things way simpler.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, it doesn't matter where you get the blood from. Some people use nothing but paw-pads

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Well done getting the meter up and running and getting those tests in. sounds as if he is settling in well.
    He looks such a sweetheart in that photo.
    Do you have any other photos?

7. Hastings (GA) and Paula

I have so many photos! They are always doing something sweet.

Attached Files:

8. Hastings (GA) and Paula

Hastings was really good with tests last night but this morning he was having NONE of my foolishness, at least not before breakfast. I'm going to try and get another reading after his food has been onboard for an hour and before I shoot.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Adorable pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.