?? on tonight's dosage....

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Btwinny, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

117 at pmps, Prozinc. She was 117 at +4, 120 at +8. I'll test in a half hour and keep food away but if it's in the same range should I skip the shot tonight?

Djamila likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Since Scout was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, yes, if she's still in the same range, I would skip tonight and enjoy a good night's sleep.

3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

She will be happy. Lol.

4. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Should I even bother testing in a half hour or just let her eat?

5. Djamila

Yes, I would test. You don't want to withhold insulin from a kitty who needs it. If the number is rising enough, you'll want to give another small dose (0.5u or 0.25u). But if the number is still a low blue, then I'd skip. I'm just catching up on your threads. Looks like you've had an eventful couple of days!

6. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Last night was a first. She was just as tired as I was. Lol

7. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I tested her again and after a half hour she was at 119, from 117. We are definitely going to skip tonight. I'm learning as we go and would rather go slow and steady. I think she's ok with that. . Depending on her AMPS tmro morning we'll see whether we do .5 or .75. I'm home tmro so we're going to do a curve. Thank you for your advice

Djamila likes this.
  8. Djamila

Honestly, I'm really glad you get to skip tonight! You and Scout could really use a night to snuggle and relax and catch up on your sleep!

It looks like she's headed in a really great direction right now. Fingers crossed you get to skip in the morning, too! :D

9. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Thank you. . How do I know if I should skip in the morning?

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

More excellent numbers like tonight's PS! :D

That's not 100% helpful, I know, and I hope that someone with more experience seeing kitties go on a "honeymoon" will weigh in, but here are two thoughts . . .

1) I would be curious what her +2 is tonight. I know you didn't give a shot, so there's really not a +2 per se, but I mean two hours after she's eaten. I'm curious since, in theory, if the pancreas has started to do its job better, that should be reflected in the post-meal numbers. But I would absolutely understand if you wanted an early bedtime and she wanted a break from all the pokes!

2) On the occasions when I've seen kitties go on a honeymoon, I've seen advice about tapering them off to where kitty is getting a "drop" of insulin. Now I don't know if that is appropriate at all for Scout since she is so newly diagnosed, but I hope someone can clarify if that is something to consider -- ?

11. Djamila

That's a great question...and a little hard to give a certain answer. You said you would be home tomorrow, right? For the past two days, she seemed to do fine on the AM cycle with a dose in the upper blues, so I think if she's 150 or above, I'd probably go with 0.5 or maybe 0.75 if your mama-sense tells you to go that direction. You may end up with some extra snacks/monitoring if you go with the bigger dose. If she's below 150, I think you could try 0.25u. And if she's below 120, I would definitely skip again.

It's hard to know for sure because of the PM cycle on 4/22. After an influx of carbs, they can be harder to predict for a few cycles afterwards. So it might be that Scout is heading down the dosing scale. Or it might be that she's just going to look like that for a few cycles and then get back to normal and need the dose increased again....the only way to know really is time and data. Considering how quickly she's gone from pinks and yellows, down to blues at PS time, my hunch is that she's heading down the dosing scale, which is what I based the dosing suggestions on. But again, we won't know for sure for a few more days.

Oh, just saw Jenna's post come through -- I agree with her about the +2 test if you can swing it tonight as it's one way to help sort out if Scout is just having a temporary dip or if she's really thinking about heading down. I also agree with her about understanding if you aren't up for it tonight. :bighug:

And a "drop" is a legit dose: you push the plunger in as hard as you can. Then insert the needle into the vial, invert, and release the pressure from the plunger. It will suck in one drop of insulin. Then you inject that. It will feel like you injected absolutely nothing. But it can sometimes be enough to guide a cat that last step into remission. So tuck that away for now. I think it's a little too early to go that low with the dose. However, I would love love love it if Scout proves me wrong and gives you a nice low blue/high dark green number in the morning!

Btwinny likes this.
  12. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I will be thrilled if we get a should blue number. That would be amazing!!! And if it's higher than 150.... No biggie. My biggest thrill was being told her first week was bouncing and to lower the dosage. Gave me hope towards remission. We'll get her there, that's for sure. I wasn't expecting it overnight but her steady run of blues is more than I was hoping for. . I think we are going to skip the +2 tonight. She's sleeping so peacefully and I have her and her susyer laying on me. No one wants to get up. Lol

13. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

@Jenna Josie She had a great blue number at amps today so we skipped the shot (as well as last night). I'll do a curve today.