Once again (part 3) Wolvi

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cris & Wolvi, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Continuing from the discussion:

Once again (part 1) Wolvi

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/once-again-with-new-account.252858/
    Once again (part 2) Wolvi
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/once-again-part-2-wolvi.256924/

Good Evening!

Could you please take a look at Wolvi’s SS.
    He is on 1.6U for 10 days. Do you still think he is bouncing?
    I should hold this dose or rise to 1.8U (or try my best to 1.6 F) tomorrow morning…
    He had two occasional greens but his “nadirs” are always almost between 100-200…
    Of course I will keep a close eye on him.

@FrostD
    @JanetNJ (I don't know if Janet is still advising but in all my last posts (made on mobile) I was not able to tag her)

Thank you :bighug:

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hmm. Did you ever choose a dosing method? If SLGS then no, no room to increase. If MPM, then you could try but I'd watch him very closely

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  3. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

@FrostD
    In fact I never choosed a dosing method but I supose I'm doing SLGS...
    Do you think that I could try the modified method, in fact one of this days I thought asking you if there is TR for Prozinc like in Lantus...
    Mainly what is the difference between SLGS and the MPM? - more testing? I can do it, I just don't do that because I afraid of hurting him...
    I just want the best for him - he is in higher numbers so much time of the day.

My only problem is during the night - my fibromialgy goes crazy if I don't sleep

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I definitely understand! MPM you reduce below 50 (you already test enough for it). SLGS you reduce below 90, but you hold the dose for a week then do a curve.

Here's my thought - I suggest a custom SLGS. Let's start with reductions below 80 (instead of 90), and hold each dose for about 4 days (longer if he's bouncing, wait for bounce to clear) before considering an increase/decrease. No need to do curves and hold for a week if you keep testing the way you do.

Can you commit to a before bed (+2 or +3) test every night? Cats often go lower at night, and seeing some of his bounces I do wonder if he's going lower. We can make reasonable estimations if we have +2/+3 data.

Could you also do one middle of the night (+5 or +6) test each week? You would want to do it on a night that the +2/+3 shows a decent drop.

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  5. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

@FrostD

Good morning

Thanks for helping me, I really want to try my best for Wolvi. Did you saw his number this morning - 534 :(
    I will try this new customed method for a while and if we don't get any results I will talk to my vet to change to Lantus (to get the prescription). What do you think?

The PMPS + 3, I already do most of the days.
    And I will do the + 5 or + 6.
    I shot at 7 AM and 7PM. So plus +5 is midnight and its perfectly Ok for me. And during the day? It is necessary to test more?
    That decent drop is more or less how much? 200 less? Imagine he has 450. The decent drop would be around what number?
    So shall I increase it to what dose? Can I start tonight?
    TY you so much ❤️❤️

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Poor guy. I do think he would benefit from Lantus anyway, because it looks like he just isn't getting enough duration from ProZinc. So I think you should still talk to the vet, because it will take some time for the vet to write the script, and for you to send it in and get the lantus.

Do they have Semglee in Portugal? Here in the US it's a much cheaper insulin that's biosimilar to Lantus.

You do a good job of testing during the day, I'm not too worried about that. Just try to catch nadir when you can

As for the drop, I'd say 15% of the preshot number. So if he's 450, and the +2 or +3 is 380 or lower, that's probably a good time to check again middle of the night. Or if the +2/+3 is blue or green, middle of the night test.

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  7. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

To have the Lantus or Semglee it only takes one or two days - because if my vet agrees to change (we already talked about that once), I just need to go to her office and pick up the prescription and go to the pharmacy to buy it.
    Here in Portugal we have Semglee - pen pre-filled 3 ml - 36 euros, and Lantus is around 53 euros.
    So I will try this new modified SLGS for a month, no more, and if we didn't go anywhere with it I will talk with the vet - because before changing I want her to know that I tried everything.
    Back in 2019 he took around 5/6 month to remission.

So what do you think? Shall I increase it to what dose? 1.8U? Can I start tonight?
    @FrostD

FrostD likes this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok good! Here it can take 1-2 weeks for everything to go through and get more "affordable" insulin

The 88 you got a few days ago doesn't leave enough room for an increase. Give him 2 more days and if no low blues or greens try 1.8U - but keep a close eye on him when you do, in case it's too much

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  9. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Good morning :)

Could you please take a look at Wolvi's SS...
    Such nice numbers last night and today grrrr :banghead:
    What should I do?

@FrostD

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Looks like just bouncing and dropping, bouncing and dropping lol

There's nothing more you can do at this point to try to make ProZinc work, I would go ahead and talk to vet about switching. You could give it another week or two, but I think he'd do very nicely on Lantus/semglee

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  11. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Hi @FrostD

Already talked to my vet and she can prescribe Lantus for me.
    She is a great vet and always very helpful I will go there next week to buy another medicine for one of my girls and I will have the prescription for Lantus.
    We only talked by whatsapp but she will phone me later.
    I'm really nervous about this change but maybe it's the best for Wolvi.
    I've been reading the Lantus forum and the organization is so different...
    What dose should Wolvi start with?
    Just imagine that I even had doubts about how much I fill the syringe to be 1U?
    Should I began with SLGS or TR?
    It's better to buy the pen, bottle or cartrige?
    How do I move from this forum to the other?

So many question :banghead:

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Make sure you also get the U100 syringes!

The day before you switch post on the Lantus forum and ask for dose advice. They're all very nice over there and will help guide you on dose, format of posted etc.

I would start with SLGS until you get comfortable, but you also test enough for TR. That's really your call, you can always change at any time.

I prefer.oens or cartridges because they're usually cheaper per unit, but also they stay fresh longer. Once you open a 10mL the 6 month window starts, and at his low doses you might not use it all before it starts to lose efficacy. But the pens/cartridges are 3-5mL usually and it's pretty guaranteed you'll use it all before it goes bad

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think you'll like it a lot better. It seems scary, but really isn't. A lot of experienced people on that forum helping out

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  14. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

FrostD likes this.
  15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok I am rather confused at the moment. Next time you give a shot can you take a picture of the syringe filled with insulin? I just want to verify your current dose

16. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I do! I figured you were using the conversion but wanted to make sure. Your English is very good.

All doses for Lantus are in increments 0.25U. we just estimate to the best of our ability. So 0.25U would be halfway between 0 and the first line (0.5U). Some people use calipers, but I don't find them useful unless on a very small dose, or if the cat seems especially sensitive to insulin

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  18. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Just check wolvi's Ss please. I only gave him 50% ;)
    I know that you wrote to reduce if he goes lower then 80 but... oh well, I was afraid.

Already bought Lantus :cat:
    Tomorrow I will post on Lantus forum.
    @FrostD

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  19. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Let's see how he does! But finally back in these numbers. I'm guessing he'll bounce again.

Are you switching to Lantus tomorrow? I would post now for dose advice. They'll probably also want the rest of your signature completed (age, date he was diagnosed, diet, etc)

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  20. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

No, I just want to begin on Monday because this Sunday I need to go out a bit in the afternoon and for the first days I want/need to stay at home with him.
    I'm already making a text to put on Lantus forum for introduction but I can complete the signature now as much as I can

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    FrostD likes this.
  21. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok great!

I would change to say 8,5kg in the signature by the way. Over here, the comma denotes thousands, and some people may not readily realize that (though I hope they would realize Wolvi does not weight 8 thousand kilograms!). I think shortening would help, and also give you more space to add anything else if needed

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  22. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

@FrostD
    Thank you Melissa you have been amazing with us❤️
    Wolvi sends nose kisses ❤️

FrostD likes this.
  23. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Right back at him :bighug:

I'm active on the Lantus forum as well so I'll be seeing you there too!

Cris & Wolvi likes this.
  24. Cris & Wolvi

Cris & Wolvi Member

Great :cat::bighug::cat: