Open discussion for 220 bg

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Btwinny, May 4, 2019.

1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I keep seeing people saying if kitty is 200bg or lower not to give them their insulin. I'm sure there are so many variables to base that on but that's certainly not a black or white statement is it?

Thoughts?

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry no one saw this and responded sooner! I just looked over Scout's SS, and WOW!! One day left and it's officially OTJ!! And to address your question... Nope. It's not black and white, for sure. This morning, my sugar baby was only 63, and I dosed him with one drop. Yesterday morning, he was 89, and I dosed him with .1U. It's all about knowing how they react with the dose you give them, and that's done by testing and testing again. The data lets you know what works for your cat. Again, hurray for Scout! And good job Momma!

3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Thank you. . Longest 14 days ever!!!

Yeah, on other threads I see people say not to shoot under 200 and here was me 2 weeks ago still shooting at 100. I feel like it was just taking it slow and coaxing her body to start building it's own insulin production.

4. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

And look at Jack's spread sheet!! Looks like you're almost there too!! Do you have a plan for quitting the drops?

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Uh...Carolyn....I think it's time for you to try an OTJ trial with Jack. Even if he gives you a low blue, let it ride for a couple of days and see if he'll self correct. My hunch is he might be ready.

And Kathy - this was the question that you posted in two threads, right? I think we did respond, just on the other one. If I'm remembering that incorrectly though, please accept my apology for missing it!

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I'm so happy that you looked over his SS! At one point, I was going to tag you in one of my posts because I've been so confused about whether it's time to do this or not. I gave it those four days, but I thought being in the low blues meant that he wasn't ready yet. So, does it happen that way? Does it take sometimes a few cycles or days to self-correct? And would you know whether keeping him on insulin longer than he needs to be could actually be bad for his pancreas? Anyway, I do believe it's time for an official OTJ trial now. Thank you!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I've been a little confused about when to do an OTJ trial. I just gave him four days recently, and I was worried because I was getting some AM pre shots in the low blues. But @Djamila just explained that it could take a couple days for his body to self-correct, so I'm going to try it.

8. Djamila

He needs to stay under 120, with most numbers in the greens. So those 104's I wouldn't be too worried about. Now if you take him off insulin and his numbers start to trend up, and the greens disappear, then he isn't ready to be on his own yet. But if you get a few blues and a still a lot of greens, then you can just ignore the occasional blue and just keep monitoring. On 5/14 he got a 108, but two hours later, he had brought himself back down to 69 with no insulin. That's what you want to see. I'd say give it a try and let's see what he does.

And Kathy, I'm so sorry we've hijacked your thread here! :bighug:

9. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thanks @Djamila. So I'm officially going to do an OTJ trial now.
    @Btwinny I'm sorry that I took over this thread! And a big, huge congratulations on Scout's success!! :bighug::p

10. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Hijack away. . And yeah, I has cross posted this and it was answered. And guess what @Djamila ??? It's officially day 15!ยก!! Scout has been OTJ for a full 14 days!! I'm so very proud of her and holy canoli it was exhausting the first few weeks and im so thankful to be past that. If she goes back into it at any point tho I thankfully gave the knowledge. Thank you soooooo much fir all your help!!!

11. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Good luck and congrats to your sugar baby. :cat::cat::cat:. Looks like jack may be ready to do this on his own.

12. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

:nailbiting:

13. Djamila

YAY!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS to you and Scout! That is such good news!

A couple of things:
    1. Be vigilant about her food and treats for the rest of her life. She will always be considered a diabetic, but now she's diet-controlled. That means if her diet relaxes, the blood sugar will likely rise, so be careful. If you switch foods at any point, check and double check that it's an okay food.

2. Be vigilant about her health. Dental issues, UTIs, arthritis,...all kinds of things can knock them out of remission. So if you are suspicious of a brewing health issue, head to the vet. You may also find that the BG is a hint that something is going on even before you can see it - rising BG likely means there is something going on.

3. Speaking of BG, conventional wisdom around here has been to test once every two weeks, or once a month for the rest of her life. I would really encourage you to test once/week though. That's just based on my experience with Sam. It was only two weeks from his numbers being just fine to his numbers being way too high. When he fell out of remission, he fell quickly. I wish I had caught it sooner.

4. If you do see a rising number, take it seriously. Start testing a few times a day again, and if they don't disappear in a day or two, get back on insulin. Don't wait three or four days. Don't wait a week. The sooner you re-start treatment, the better the chances of a second remission. The second round is harder than the first round, so you want every advantage to overcome it.

Okay, enough with the dire warnings! You did a fantastic job of making the changes that Scout needed, monitoring, learning, adjusting, and doing everything she needed to find her way back to health again. It is such a joy seeing kitties get to remission, and you can be so proud of the care you gave her. Scout is one lucky cat, both to be rescued, and to be rescued by someone who would take the time and effort to give her such good care through this!

This board works because people come and learn and then pay it forward to other folks, so I hope you will keep logging in and help other people as they join. Even if you aren't comfortable with dosing advice, just spending a few minutes on the Main forum or the Introduction page to give a little welcome and reassurance to people who are new and scared and overwhelmed. It can go a long ways towards helping others who are in that place you were in just a few weeks ago!

:otj::cat::otj::):otj::bighug::otj::D:otj:

MamaMug likes this.
  14. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Oh yeah..... We are going to be wet fooders for life. My game plan is stay on wet food, test once a week for a month, and then monthly. The teeth thing.... She doesn't have any. Lol. They we're all pulled when she was a year. Her gums kept swelling. O see how playful and crazy she has been the last couple weeks and I compare it to right before she was diagnosed. Now I know what to look for and how to get back into a routine should we ever have to get back on insulin.

I definitely plan on sticking around here and the FB pages. I don't feel comfy recommending dosage but everything else.... Absolutely.

Again, thank you so much for your guidance!! Scout thanks you with endless headbumps and purrs.