Oral medication study

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squeakycats, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Hi, all! Is anyone participating in the 20-site study of an oral medication for diabetic cats (described at diabetescatstudy.com)? I've been invited to bring my kitty in for screening, and I think he's likely to meet the criteria. The person I spoke with on the phone couldn't tell me what medication is being used--I think it'd being kept confidential while the study is going on.

I would like to help new medications be developed, and it'd be exciting if this stuff worked for him, since it's been an ongoing struggle to keep him regulated on Lantus. But I know I wouldn't be able to keep him on the medication at the end of the study, since it's not on the market yet, and I think that would be really tough for me--to see him doing better and then be unable to keep him that way. It would also be really tough to see him do worse, though of course I'd pull him from the study pretty quickly if it wasn't going well. He also hates riding in the car, so the initial phase--where I think they have to come in 4-5 times within the first couple of weeks--would be rough on him.

I think I'm going to keep the screening appointment just to make a connection with this veterinary practice--unlike the one I'm currently going to, they're feline-only, and since I just moved here a few months ago, I haven't formed the sort of relationships that would make me feel horrible if I decided to switch vets. But I'm trying to get a head start on thinking about whether participating in the trial might be worth it, so I would love to hear what others have experienced (if anybody's been involved in this and is willing to share!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.