Ordered ketone meter, will we be okay until then?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney and Jonas, Jun 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Hi everyone! I have been a bundle of anxiety the last couple of days after researching more about ketones and DKA since Jonas has been running in higher numbers. I am trying him on 3.125U for the next 3 cycles to see if that helps, and I have also ordered a ketone meter. I've gotten myself terrified of him having ketones and developing DKA because of his higher numbers (I mentioned this in another thread but I have GAD and panic disorder myself and all of these awful thoughts and fears are really consuming me, I can't focus on anything else and I know I'm obsessing).

I love our vet but I really wish he would have mentioned this before because I don't know if he's been at risk of them for all these years.

Jonas is eating normally, drinking normally, peeing and pooping normally (he usually pees about 2 times a day and poos once), seems bright and alert, played with toys today, etc. Do you think he will be okay until his meter is in? He really likes his privacy in the bathroom, he always has, so I thought the meter was our best option because he doesn't even appreciate being walked in on while he's going.

Also, how often should I test him for the ketones once it arrives? I plan to use his normal meter for BG since the strips for the ketone meter are more expensive and a bit more scarce.

Thank you all so much, I'm sorry for being such a pain.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You are not being a pain......we are happy to help you.
    If there is no history of ketones with Jonas then you should be fine to wait until the meter arrives.. as long as he is eating, is not sick and you are giving the insulin, you should be fine.
    If he was lethargic, not eating, vomiting, had a fever, dehydrated I would be concerned but if he is ok and he seems ok then you should be fine to wait til the meter arrives.
    If you are feeding dry food that is high carb, that will keep the BGs higher.
    But you shouldn’t change the food without advice as removing the high carb dry can reduce the numbers.

Once the meter arrives you can test for ketones and if none are present, you could test again a few days later if the BGs are still high.
    But I would look at removing the dry food if that will not cause an issue (but do it under supervision)
    Keep asking questions.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Jonas most cats do quite well in high numbers, and you've seen yellows recently. So if he's eating, drinking, getting insulin, and no infection, I'm sure he's fine.
    Once you get the meter, if it reads some low ketones I would test daily. If nothing them maybe every few days or one a week while in high numbers, more often if acting weird. Once those numbers are mostly out of the red, just every so often. I only test every few months of my cat had a period of high numbers or she seems off.

4. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Thank you both so much. I barely slept last night because I’m such a bundle of nerves. I’m terrified it’s my fault if he were to develop them and I can’t get my mind to shut off. I woke up to him spitting up what looked to be three unchewed treats he found somewhere last night and I haven’t been able to stop shaking over it even though I’m sure it was a fluke, he does that whenever he scarfs something and doesn’t chew it. He seems bright as ever and jumped onto the sofa arm ready for his AMPS and breakfast (it’s not quite time for that yet though, I’m just sleeping terribly!)

I will continue to monitor him and his behavior as closely as I can until the meter arrives. I did sniff his breath after his spit up this morning and he acted like I was very strange for it lol, but I didn’t smell anything sweet or like acetone.

I was so excited because he spent his curve day mostly in the yellows, but now back to reds :( I really want to get those out of there. He hasn’t had as many carbs as he used to. I have been working with my mom to give him more low carb treats (Dried chicken and shrimp from Purebites and I just ordered ocean whitefish) and we have a bag of Tiki Cat dry food arriving today as well.

5. JanetNJ

If he had no ketones at diagnosis, then he's fine. He's got high preshots but they have been coming down. I just realized I called YOU Jonas. Oops that's the cats name. Lol.

6. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

LOL I’m so out of it I didn’t even notice you’re more than fine. I’m anxious to test him this morning to see if the extra 1/4 unit brought his higher levels down a bit. I just want to get him solidly into the 300s, then 200s, and go from there. Just as long as we say goodbye to these reds. His vet has mentioned several times how well cats handle high blood sugars, but I’m still a wreck.

7. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

He was at 205 AMPS!! I’m so proud of him :) now just a little shaky on how much insulin I should give him. I’m working from home until July so at least I will be here to test. I’ll see how he eats and go from there.

JanetNJ and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Whitney , Good going Jonas you just made your momma a very happy momma He's a little cutie Whitney :cat:

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ahhh the old trading one worry for another. You are doing great and so is Jonas. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

10. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

He sure did!! I thought I was going to cry with joy when I saw that 205 come up. And thank you so much :) he is my Romeo! He is in SUCH a fantastic mood this morning too, I'm so proud of him.

Thank you and Jeanne both (I'm sorry I still don't know how to tag/quote multiple people, I feel like a noob!) so much for your kindness and support. Since I am blessed to be working from home right now, I am going to recheck him in a bit less than an hour, see where he is, and dose him based on that number :) He ate some chunky chicken FF which isn't perfect, but his new order of pate isn't here yet. Hopefully it arrives soon so he can keep on his classic pates. He'll also have some plain baked chicken when the pup gets her breakfast in a few minutes which is a favorite of his!

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

;):coffee:
    I'm just glad Jones is doing so well. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I get the same way you do Whitney when I see a good number, it's like YES! lol

13. JanetNJ

This is wonderful news. I would give 3 as long as you will be home to test! I bet you will see those WONDERFUL blue numbers today!
    TO tag people, put the @ sign and then start writing the name of the person you want to tag and you will see it pop up.

14. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Oh, thank you so much Janet! I wish I had seen your post sooner, I JUST retested him (241! Yay!) and went ahead and gave him 2U. I will keep a close eye on him still. I would love, love, love to see those blues, but even these yellows are making me crazy happy right now. I'm so happy he responded so well to the 3.25 dose last night (I just realized I've been typing 1/4 doses as .125, I'll change that on his sheet... LOL. I was a Journalism and Comm major, NOT a math girl!)

15. JanetNJ

ok! sounds good. I'm sure he would have been fine with the 3 u dose, but I understand being cautious.

16. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

I definitely think giving him 3U would've been okay, I wish I would have now but I am trying to see this as a learning opportunity for when he hopefully continues having those yellows in the mornings :)

He is at 331 at +2 from his shot, but from what I've observed so far, he doesn't really begin dropping until after the 3-4 hour mark, so I'm trying not to worry much (and I'm telling myself, at least it's not red!). I'll give him another test at +4 after I've had my afternoon Zoom call.

17. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

310 at +4 from his shot so I'm hopeful he'll drop into the 200s :) I really think we would have seen blues at 3U, I know now for next time!

18. JanetNJ

Id raise to 3.5 tomorrow.

19. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

My mom also has been leaning towards 3.5U. I’m nervous, but at least now is the perfect time to test while I’m working from home the rest of this month. He was at 296 at last check which is still much better than he was, but I definitely want to get him into the blues and lower yellows.

Should I do 3 or 3.25 depending on his PMPS?

20. JanetNJ

We ultimately want to get him down around 100.
    I would do 3.25 unless the PMPS is like 200, then maybe do 3.

21. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

He was 376 at PMPS so 3.25 it was! I’m really encouraged by how well he did today and I hope tomorrow will be a similar, but lower pattern ❤️ I hope I’m not getting my hopes up too much but I feel like I can breathe a little easier after today. No reds!

jt and trouble (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.