? Oren ear meds, Baytril Otic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Megan & Oren, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

so, I'm back from my trip, have upped my creamsicle boy to 6.5 units (as of Wed a.m) and picked up his ear medication today: has anyone ever been prescribed Baytril Otic for fungal/bacterial ear infection? My concern is that the bottle says it is for ototopical use in Dogs?! i googled it, wondering if there should be a cat specific formulation.. but I think this gets used in both cats and dogs? the main ingredient is enrofloxacin. there are several potential side effects (diarrhea, lethargy, drooling, loss of appetite) that typically go away after discontinuing the medication, but there was also this nerve wracking tidbit:

"While extremely rare, a small percentage of cats treated with Baytril go blind. The drugs damages the cat's retina. This particular side effect is irreversible. Because of the seriousness of this particular side effect, most vets are extremely careful regarding Baytril dosages. Baytril might also cause kidney damage, another irreversible side effect. Your vet will conduct regular bloodwork and urinalysis on Kitty if he's prescribed Baytril long-term to monitor kidney function. Baytril can also cause seizures in some felines. If Kitty appears to have an allergic reaction to the drug, since as difficulty breathing or any type of swelling or hives, call your vet at once."

my vet prescribed 3-5 drops every 12 hrs. for 2 weeks. Now I'm wondering if I should use it???
    Even the mild side affects aren't something I'd like to put him through, especially the loss of appetite.
    Does anyone else have experience w/ this med? I do note that his ears seem better after several weeks of daily cleaning with T8 wash, and I haven't noticed him scratching at them since getting home.

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I have no idea.... I'll be watching for answers....

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Punkin was given oral Baytril and I was told about that warning about blindness/dosage. He only got one dose down because apparently it tasted so bad. He walked around foaming at the mouth and barfing.

I am a bit leery of baytril, but I understand that the risk is in the dose being too high, so I would just double-check the dose and make sure it's appropriate for his weight. I found the oral dosage online, so you may be able to find the ear dosage as well.

Sorry I don't know more about it.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago my civvie Baby was given Baytril Otic for an ear infection. I was given a 15 ml bottle and told to give 2 to 3 drops in each ear twice daily for one week. She didn't have any side effects and it cleared up her ear infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.