Oscar Cat newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adrienne & Molly (GA), Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    My parents have a 19lb cat that has been diagnosed with diabetes. He’s been on insulin now starting at 1 unit August 31. Jumped up to 2 units last Thursday. As per vet request mom didn’t listen to me. With the dosage, he’s on the Lantus pen not refrigerated. As vet request
    He’s 20 this morning. I told me to get some needles. Draw the insulin from the pen? Start 2.25 increase for a week? He’s eating only fancy feast pate. Suggestions please

Lando demando likes this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Adrienne :bighug: Do you all have any BG readings? If it were me, I'd set up an SS for your parent's cat and put in any data you have. If you don't have data, maybe read back through the dosing methods, decide which one they would follow, and use the starting dose for which ever one (assuming on lantus...I don't know the dosing methods of the other insulins :cat:).

3. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Mom texts me his readings every day. He’s on Lantus I’ll start a SS. They don’t have a computer or internet. But I’ve been trying my best to help. Just wish I was closer to help them.
    I think the slower method would be better, to start with?
    Thanks Suzanne it’s good to hear from you :)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

That's sweet of you to help them :bighug: Maybe you could run the SS for them (just add to your signature and do a separate condo from Molly's on lantus board)?

As I'm sure you know, if feeding any dry then SLGS has to be their method, else the choice is up to you all. Lots of people start on one method then switch (just not advised to mix the two methods). So they could always start with SLGS and if testing enough and feeding LC wet, then switch to TR. Just my musing thoughts :cat:

Good to see you too :)

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey Adrienne, I'm happy you're going to start a SS for Oscar.
    I hope your parents will listen to you now and put the pen in the fridge

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't mean to hyjack your post Adrienne just want to say hello to Susanne
    @JaxBenji Hi Susanne I hope all is well and Benji is doing good.:bighug:
    :bighug:

Adrienne & Molly (GA) likes this.
  7. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Oscar is lucky to have you. Well wishes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.