Oscar’s Recovery

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Dominica Butcher, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Dominica Butcher

Dominica Butcher New Member

Hi,

First time post. Oscar was diagnosed with diabetes in Jan 22. He had lost 2kg in weight and was very poorly. He was being fed a combination of high carb wet/dry food and I was advised by the vet not to change it. He was being free fed but this was changed to 2 meals a day. He started on 1unit of Prozinc and this was gradually increased to 3.5 units.

He gradually put weight on but still had excessive thirst and was always meowing for food. He also had no interest in grooming and his coat was greasy and full of dandruff.

After joining this group about 6 weeks ago. I began home testing and have made changes to his diet. He’s is now being fed a low carb wet food 4 times a day. The improvement has been amazing. The excessive thirst has gone, less meowing for food - the 4am wake up calls have stopped and he is back to grooming and his coat is shiny and clear of dandruff.
    I am home testing and trying my best to learn when to reduce and when not to shoot but finding it confusing and sometimes doubt if I’m doing the right thing. If someone could have a look at Oscar’s spreadsheet and let me know your thoughts I would be very grateful.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Lee Renfro likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hello. You did the right thing to reduce the dose when he dropped below 90 the other day. Did you get a response on the other forum? Or have been waiting since you posted this. If so, I am sorry.

Dominica Butcher likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Lovely numbers!

One thing to consider is trying to get nighttime tests at least twice per week, around +4 to +6. They often drop lower at night so it's a nice check to have.

I suspect he's very near another reduction (by SLGS dosing method at least), so focus testing around +4 or +5 when possible.

5. Dominica Butcher

Thanks for your advice. I’ll start doing some night tests. I have reduced to 2 now and numbers are still looking good

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

His numbers do look very good. I’m really pleased to see his progress. How is Oscar feeling now?

7. Dominica Butcher

He’s really well thank you. Back to his old self, playful and noisy! Just wish I had stumbled across this group sooner rather that sticking with the vets advice for the first 6 months. No diet change, 2 meals a day and no treats. We were both miserable for those 1st 6 months.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Well you are on the right track now! This is really good to hear about him being noisy and playful.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

By the way, he has the most beautiful and striking markings.