? "OT" Information needed on using calipers + syringe parts by name

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by OlivesMom, Sep 5, 2020.

1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I thought hubby and I had figured out the proper way to measure our syringes using a caliper but after today's miss-dose, I'm seeking some help on the proper way to measure and if someone could explain the part names of the syringe that would be helpful. I'm using Walgreens Syringes that are HORRIBLY inconsistent and we know without the use of the caliper we'll never get an accurate dosage.
    Walgreens U-100 0.3ML 31 Gauge 8mm (5/16") needle length. If anyone has used this brand and already have a caliper setting information that would be great. One problem we are having is not knowing exactly where to place the caliper's arm as it relates to the top of the syringe head.
    When the plunger is fully pushed to the top and you release, is that considered the zero line no matter what the zero line is that's marked on the syringe?? Because the zero lines on mine are notoriously inconsistent wit the plunger sitting above the line on some and crooked on others, and below the line on others. Any help measuring out a 0.01IU would be greatly appreciated.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

3. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Same exact ones I bought.

4. tiffmaxee

You don’t like them?

5. tiffmaxee

Mine aren’t Walgreens. Is the brand Pitsburg?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

7. Olive & Paula

It's the syringe marking she is having an issue with as where to measure from.

OlivesMom likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

I used Terumo syringes. I measured from the top line.

9. Olive & Paula

Her lines are not consistent and all over the place.

OlivesMom likes this.
  10. tiffmaxee

I had that issue too as well as not being straight. I found a good one and used it to measure when I decreased or increased. It’s sort of hard to explain how I did it. Sorry.

11. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Hope this is clear enough. I can take another. Even my needles are crooked.

Attached Files:

12. tiffmaxee

Yep, even the terumos that were the best weren’t always straight. I have some I saved just in case and never used because I was going through the good ones first. I know where I would measure but hard to explain. There’s a white line above the crooked black one. The thing is to be consistent. With humans a tiny amount here or there isn’t an issue so they just don’t care.

13. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

So is it that white line that is considered the true zero mark? If that's the case then what would the crooked black line (AKA zero mark) be considered...I mean the estimated IU?

14. Olive & Paula

What I see is the needle hub, then what looks like a space, then the rim of the barrel. Can you measure from the rim?

15. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Blurry, but the caliper is set for 0.01 IU and this is where and how I usually place the caliper compared to the syringe. Is this the proper way of measuring? If so, then as you can see the "zero" mark is way off from what I'd actually dose.
    upload_2020-9-5_18-18-18.png

16. tiffmaxee

That sounds like what I did. I just made sure I measured the same way every time.

17. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I don't know the name of the syringe parts. Is the "hub" the brim of the plastic hat? It looks like a derby hat to me with a needle sticking out the top. lol

18. tiffmaxee

It’s the part that attaches to the needle. Google it.

19. Olive & Paula

The "hat" is the hub. So you would measure from just under the brim. Another thing to do is to farther down the barrel the lines look consistent. Measure out one unit using other lines. So if your syringe has 10 units written on it, start at 10 and measure to 11 to get caliper reading for 1 unit. Do your calculation for what you want to give, set calipers. You pic looks like placement is correct. As long as you measure the same way, you should be good.

20. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

ok, so let me measure out one unit real quick

21. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

My numbers keep jumping by a point in both directions but I'd say it's about 1.00mm from 10-11.

22. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I want to give 0.01 IU, so I've forgotten how to calculate that.

23. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

I have the very same caliper and actually don't feel completely confident either with placement of the caliper even after watching the videos and looking at the photos. Both in the info/stickies which you probably have found, but here is the link: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/attachments/5623e7db-9006-453a-8895-9d2d3ac7ff99-png.48539/) but this photo when I enlarged it was helpful https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/attachments/5623e7db-9006-453a-8895-9d2d3ac7ff99-png.48539/. My close-up vision isn't the greatest after I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago and even have these great magnifying glasses, which I use a lot for other tasks--I highly recommend them https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H8808H6. And I haven't heard from anyone who had done the caliper computations the syringes I use, Ulticare VetRx U-100 3/10cc, 31g x 5/16 needle either.

OlivesMom likes this.
  24. Olive & Paula

The amount you want to give (0.01) x what one unit measures out, you say (1) so it's actually what you are giving in this case.

Your picture looks like correct placement.

25. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Nice pic and magnifier. Will have to get those glasses. Thanks!
    Yeah, I'm still not totally certain of placement. I've got a feeling I've been giving Olive IU other than what I've thought.

Ok, so this is how I would hold the caliper against the syringe to get the 0.01 IU. The point of the caliper is just under the brim because it rests perfectly this way. Is this correct?
    upload_2020-9-5_19-11-16.png

26. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I just measured this 0.01 against what I KNOW to be the half unit mark further down on the syringe and what the caliper is showing measures 0.01 also is a dead ringer for 0.25 as it lines up as the exact halfway point between the 5 and half unit mark. How on earth is that possible? That said, I suppose there's no true way of getting the measurement you desire, but whatever you measure will at least be consistent each time. Okay, I'm off to relax for the first time in 24 hours.

Olive & Paula likes this.