OTJ, but something's still wrong

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by sofapup, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofapup

sofapup Member

My Levon was diagnosed in September, and in remission less than 2 months later. I feed him b.f.f. by Weruva, 8 oz (1 cup,more than a can) each day. His BG numbers are good, but he is still losing weight. He's also vomited about every other day for the past two weeks, twice with hairballs. Blood test show his thyroid is ok, kidney levels are high normal, but everything else was normal. He becomes aggressively hungry about 2 hours before feeding times (he bites and basically acts like a jerk.)
    My vet now says that the next thing to look at is some problem in the digestive tract (thickening of the walls, or a tumor) with a $300 ultrasound.

My questions: Could there be some other problem that caused high glucose levels besides diabetes?
    If he is OTJ on food alone, and he is hungry and losing weight, would feeding more be a good idea? Or could that cause the diabetes to come back?
    Is an ultra sound at this point a case of excessive diagnostics?

Thanks for any input.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What your vet is looking for - GI cancer - will cause weight loss.

Feeding mini-meals may help keep him from getting too hungry.

Anitafrnhamer likes this.
  3. sofapup

sofapup Member

Yes, that is one thing she's looking for. Or some kind of inflammatory disease of the bowels (?) My concern about the timing of his meals is that his diabetes seems to be controlled by diet alone. Would adding a third feeding upset that balance?

I also wonder if feeding him more makes the weight loss stop, would that mean I wouldn't need the ultrasound?

4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think mini-meals would upset anything. My understanding is that smaller meals are easier on the pancreas. You could add some total calories by feeding smaller amounts more frequently.

5. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

All bff varieties have fish. Maybe your cat has a sensitivity to fish. They are also low calorie. It looks like you are feeding about 165 cal/day. Maybe that isn't quite enough?

6. sofapup

sofapup Member

billysmom, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure how many calories he needs,but I'll try to find it. What kind of protein do other diabetic diets have?

billysmom (GA) likes this.
  7. sofapup

sofapup Member

Ooooooooooooh my! Levon needs more food! My vet had simply told me how many CANS, I have been measuring by CUPS, I never looked at CALORIES! Poor Levon. I'll start him on 11 oz (two 5.5 oz cans) in three feedings. My math says that is what a 12 lb. cat should have. He hasn't vomited in two weeks, so maybe it was hairball related??? Thanks for the heads-up, billysmom.

Mister's Owner and CindyR like this.
  8. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

That's the problem with the Weruva (and Tiki Cat) foods. They have more moisture and are low fat. Therefore they are low calorie per volume. You need to feed more than many other foods. There's a formula floating around here that gives a starting estimate of calories to feed a cat based on ideal weight. It is a good place to start but the actual amount will vary depending on activity level, etc. I couldn't find the formula but you might try searching for it.

I'm glad Levon has stopped throwing up! Many avoid regularly feeding fish based diets for several reasons. High mercury levels, often high phosphorus content, cats can become addicted to it and refuse to eat anything else. Also it is a common allergen for cats. I mentioned it because of a possible allergy/sensitivity issue. I'm pretty sure my cat would get sniffles when he ate fish. You might want to take a look at catinfo.org. She has a lot of info about cat nutrition. There's a lot to take in though :).

9. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

sofapup likes this.
  10. sofapup

sofapup Member

Weekly weigh-in: same as the last three weeks! No more vomiting, either. Perhaps he was just working hard on a hairball, though the jury is out on that one. Levon does seem to do a lot of grooming while cuddling on my lap. I hope that doesn't lead to overgrooming and more hairballs. (See, I can worry about anything. But if I didn't I wouldn't have caught his diabetes either, so I guess I'll just obsess on things.:cat:

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

I'm so glad Levon is feeling better and hasn't lost more weight! Mom's are supposed to worry :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.