OTJ given .25 units.. PZI eyes please.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by jeanice, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Today I shot my previously OTJ (15 months) with .25 units of PZI

6:40 pm 260 fed and shot .25
    +2.5 220

I looked back in his BG log and I was experiencing more substantial drops like 290 to 70 by 3.5.
    This insulin is 15 months old, does anyone think it may be expired then? I don't know how long this stuff keeps. Someone on the main board gave me a voucher to give to my vet for a free sample, so it should be on the way. Is there any harm in upping him to .5 u when I can monitor better or should I just wait this out. Onset is +2 right? I will test again at nadir.

If anyone knows I would appreciate insight. Thank you.

Jeanice and Shadow

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

What type of PZI are you using?

Generally a manufactured PZI should last more than 15 months from the date of manufacture - usually 24 months or *maybe* more. The longest I've seen the shelf life listed for a compounded insulin [like BCP or something made locally] is 6 months from the date of manufacturer. So it may depend on which type of PZI you are using. Also, it depends on how you have stored the insulin. It should be in a 40F fridge [which is naturally out of the light].

Any chance you can get you BG log into the Spreadsheet? It would really help us help you better. Instructions can be found in the Tech Support Form. Also a profile help too - instructions again in the tech support forum.

You can keep at the .25 for a few cycles and see how things go and then increase if you need to. Sounds like you have been at the diabetes thing a while but the usual for newbies is start low go slow. So you can go slow on the increases. If you are using a U40 insulin, U100 syringes might also help you get the dosing gradient more consistent.

If you read the Sticky at the top of this form it details the typical onset.

3. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello,
    Thank you for letting me know that about expiration. I don't have much experience actually. Last time I only shot on him about ten times before we went into remission. I learned alot really fast though.
    His +2.5 was 220 and +5 was 140.
    This is really odd to me because I was seeing sharp onset before at +3 with him. I suppose that alot can change in 15 months though. I will be getting a spreadsheet done on Wednesday evening as in one of my other threads I was provided a link. I love this sight there are so many helpful people here. I have to get to bed so I fed shadow and my 2 civies in case he goes lower at nadir there is a cushion. I will be back with a spreadsheet soon. I am gathering by the drop that it isn't expired, but maybe just lost some of its' potency. I use U-100/5ml with u-30 needles. I have found this combination to be more workable, but hard to measure accurately with tiny doses.
    Thank you again,
    Jeanice and Shadow

4. jeanice

jeanice New Member

To answer you I am using BCP. I got the U-100 needles on accident after measuring with U-30 and we got very close to hypo right before remission and it took days to get rid of the rebound numbers. That is why I use the 100 insulin with U-30. If I can get him OTJ quickly that would be great, if not I am considering lantus. Just trying to figure out the best insulin for being away from home for ten hour increments now. confused_cat

5. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Hey, I am dealing with the same thing about scheduling! From everything that I have gathered Lantus is an insulin that you need to be on a 12-12 schedule with when with PZI you have more flexibility. I was considering Lantus for a little bit but the scheduling was one of the main reasons I decided to stay with it. There are more veterans on the Lantus board because it has been around longer and the ProZinc that we are on is still fairly new. But I personally have seen great results with my cat with PZI. I think with your schedule you should give PZI a chance and be patient about the remission, it may take longer the second time around. That is my humble opinion. Good luck to you!

6. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

i agree with gator. stick with .25 of a unit for a few cycles and see how it goes.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Umm just to clarify - you are using BCP U40 insulin with U100 needles?

Just making sure here because it seems you may have gotten the numbers switched around?? If you were using U40 insulin with U100 needled then you would be measuring in .2u increments.

I have not heard of anyone using U30 needles - did not know they existed. Nor have I heard of anyone using U40 needles with U100 insulin.

If I were using U100 insulin I would use U100 needles. It is only if I were using U40 insulin that I would use a different U needle as in a U100 needle.

Make sure to read the Sticky at the top of this forum about using U100 needles with U40 insulin. Make sure you have the conversion chart printed out and are using it.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like the insulin is still good, that is great!!! Especially since it looks like you are getting a pretty good response today, I agree to hold the dose for a couple days and then reevaluate at that point (barring low #s, where you would want to lower the dose immediately). You may see an improved response after you get a few shots in his system.

Do you mean 0.3cc syringes maybe instead of U30? The ones I have are U100 syringes with 0.3cc capacity, or I think it's 30 units that the syringe holds (different than "U-30'" though, which would mean it is designed to hold an insulin of U30 strength). On my syringe box it says "U-100 insulin for 30 units or less".

9. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello all,

In response to reply posted below: sorry for the confusion. I am using U100 syringes with .3cc capacity, they have an orange cap. The insulin is BCP 100 insulin, not 40. I ready the stickies, very helpful! This morning Shadow had an AMPS of 200 so I didn't shoot on him, he has a hx of hypo if I shoot below 225, even with micro units of .25u. I was gone at work from 10 am to 10 pm so I will be checking him at 6 am tomorrow and shooting then if need be. I can stick around for +4 and not be anxious at work the entire day that way. My schedule will be more conducive to a 6 pm shot tomorrow too. Gotta teach the hubby how to shoot and get BG's, he doesn't get it yet but is watching and willing to help when I have these long days to keep shadow regulated or at least close (hoping for another honeymoon though). Thank you all for the insight. I will be steady with fat zeros and .25u and get the spreadsheet done as soon as my schedule allows. I have a sick 6 month old son right now so it may take a bit longer than originally anticipated.

Do you mean 0.3cc syringes maybe instead of U30? The ones I have are U100 syringes with 0.3cc capacity, or I think it's 30 units that the syringe holds (different than "U-30'" though, which would mean it is designed to hold an insulin of U30 strength). On my syringe box it says "U-100 insulin for 30 units or less"

10. Gator & H (GA)

As little as you are shooting I would get the U40 strength next from BCP and not the U100 strength. Just my $0.02.

Sorry to hear your kitty is back from the falls but the folks here are really awesome and will help you along.

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope your son is feeling better soon too, sounds stressful. :cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.