[OTJ] Luna and the "R WORD"

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by pevsfreedom, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

Well I never thought I'd say this,

but Luna is in REMISSION!

This is a cat that weighed 20lbs 4 years ago when we got her. Her average back then was about ~400. After countless nights staying up with her and giving her insulin when her blood sugar was at 30 despite all my senses telling me no, I managed to get her down from 18 (EIGHTEEN!) units of lantus a day to... 0.

She's been on 0.5 for about two months. After a few weeks she's still at 100, all the time. No insulin.

We sprung for "Young Again" dry cat food. 0% carbs. This got us from 0.5 to 0 - the 18 to 0.5 I can't explain. Maybe her suspected acromegaly tumor is waning, maybe it's from her mild hyperthyroidism, but I don't care. She's the happiest and most active she's ever been. She's coming in at a lean 6 pounds, which is a little low (hyperthyroidism) but she's on meds for that.

Would never have been able to keep up with her the first few years without this website. I've donated money and a lot of time myself to helping others, including educating those vets who don't know anything :)

Good luck to everyone.

(PS: her spreadsheet is terribly out of date - I've just been using the glucometer).

Photo on 10-14-16 at 1.30 PM.jpg Photo on 10-22-16 at 6.11 PM #3.jpg Photo on 8-25-17 at 4.21 PM #3.jpg

2. pevsfreedom

We also found two feral snowshoes... what are the chances of that? 1/1000. So I took both home because well, why not.
    2018-08-19.jpg

3. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

What an inspiring story. Congratulations!!!

Krystina & Nelli and pevsfreedom like this.
  4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news about Luna and congrats on the OTJ! Keep testing weekly (I did it for the first year with Davidson back when he was first dx), then at least monthly to catch him just in case things change down the road. I remember what a wonderful feeling it was and now you can enjoy Luna as she enters her OTJ years......:otj::bighug::otj::bighug:

pevsfreedom likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What fabulous news John! I am so happy for you and Alison and Luna of course. I hope you are still taking her on camping trips. She deserves something special for this achievement. :) As do you of course.

Love the pics of all your cuties!

Krystina & Nelli and pevsfreedom like this.
  6. pevsfreedom

Thanks you were the biggest of helpers :) She broke her pelvic bone a few weeks (months?) ago but it only stopped her for about... 24 hours. She still keeps wanting to be an outside/camping cat.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Luna is a beauty, and looks so healthy, thanks to you! The babies (snowshoes) are incredible, yep, you did good!

pevsfreedom likes this.
  8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

What a great story! Congrats to you and Luna with OTJ! She could be the poster child for weight loss!

The Showshoes are adorable!

pevsfreedom likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How wonderful! I'm so happy for you! Love the pictures. :):):):):):):)

pevsfreedom likes this.
  10. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Congrats!:otj:

pevsfreedom likes this.
  11. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Let's all have some mooncakes and catnip tea to celebrate with Luna!
    --Chef Felix
    [​IMG]

12. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I love moon cakes!!

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  13. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

What are “snowshoes” :-\?

pevsfreedom likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oh my! Broken pelvis is major. Our shelter had one kitty with that injury and it took weeks before we discovered it wasn't feral, it was in so much pain. Luna is one tough kitty!

pevsfreedom likes this.
  15. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! What a ride!!! Beautiful kitties, Luna is adorable!

pevsfreedom likes this.
  16. pevsfreedom

Luna and the two kittens are snowshoes. It's a breed. They are very rare because all of their specific traits come from recessive genes. I don't know how much "percentage" snowshoe my 3 are but from reading the traits they all seem pretty damn snowshoe-y. Grumpy Cat is a lot of snowshoe as well. They're a crossbreed between seal point Siamese with bicolor American Shorthairs and have been around since the 1960s. The "white feet" are why they're called snowshoes :) All 3 of mine are rescues. I've never seen another one in person. This description of personality is 100% spot on:

"The Snowshoe is a unique individual who is always interesting to live with. A Snowshoe may be the bossy master or mistress of the home, the feline “Mom” who’s always checking in on you, the entertaining clown, or the needy best friend. In whatever guise she comes, you can expect her to be smart, active, and affectionate, although she may take her time warming up to visitors.

Read more at https://cattime.com/cat-breeds/snowshoe-cats#zoMaS5ldecJ4UQyC.99"

Yeah it was really bad the first day. She did it while we were at Deadpool 2 and we came back and she couldn't walk. She screamed at the vet so bad they couldn't x-ray her because of the pain and had to sedate her. Day 2 she was like 90% better it was weird and she's just kinda got a weird gait now which I'm sure is permanent because of her age but she's still jumping up to the sink counter, where I think she tried to jump to and fell really hard. I read that broken pelvis usually results from getting hit by a car so she must have fell pretty hard. All in all I'd say she was in severe pain but it didn't show after Day 1. She's also 90% blind and probably 75% deaf at her young age. Cat's are interesting creatures.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Luna (and her beans, of course)! What a tough kitty she is!! Love your pictures.

pevsfreedom likes this.
  18. Rebecca.garfie

Rebecca.garfie Member

Congratulations Luna keep going

19. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! :):otj::)

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  20. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Yeah, Luna!!
    2 years on 9u’s NOW :otj: :bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  21. pevsfreedom

Woo! Saving tons of money! Lol. Except on cat food.. that's a lot more now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.