OTJ since Sept. 2018 ~ Kidney Cat Forum?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Catacular, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Catacular

Catacular Member

Hi all!

Our grey cat has been OTJ since Sept. 2018, after following the Roomp & Rand protocol for about 80 days (attached Table 2; linked in the Tight Regulation Protocol thread). I test him periodically, and we are typically in the 60's now. Yey!

But, sadly, his kidneys were damaged, presumably by the diabetes prior to treatment. So, he's now receiving 2x/week sub-cutaneous fluids. He doesn't mind too much, and his weight has been perfect since we got him on the fluids.

The reason I'm posting is . . . does anyone know of a good "kidney cat" forum to join? While he's been doing great so far, I imagine in the year(s) ahead that I will need additional support.

~ Catacular

Attached Files:

2. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

I decided to pop on FDMB and look around the forum since I hadn’t been on in quite awhile, and saw your post. While I don’t have a forum, I do have a wonderful chronic kidney disease (CKD) Facebook group that has helped me tremendously. If you are interested, here’s the link:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/felinecrf/?ref=share

3. Catacular

Catacular Member

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  4. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

You are very welcome! Hope it helps. Luckily the food ‘expert’ in that group is also in the FDMB Facebook group as well. He’s been a great help in me finding food both cats can eat. Trying to keep Max in remission with him starting early kidney disease - while my other cat is much farther advanced- has been a slight pain. I’ve been trying to switch them both to Food Fur Life premix for homemade lightly cooked food (supposed to have great results with CKD kitties), but Max’s BGLs keep going up into the mid 100s when eating it. The consensus is the great quality protein requires more insulin and his pancreas hasn’t gotten the message yet. :banghead::rolleyes:

5. Catacular

Catacular Member

Ugh, sorry to hear that. We switched to Young Again ZERO Mature (free feed per instructions) supplemented with the Wellness CORE Pate (one 3oz. can per day, split across AM/PM) early in our cat's insulin treatment, before we were able to get him into remission. So far, both our more feral black cat, who has had zero health problems so far (knock on wood), and the grey cat have responded very well to that. The grey cat was losing weight when he first started having the kidney troubles, so we're just happy that he's stable for now. We try to do 1 unit of saline twice a week for him, although the 1 unit sometimes is more like 3/4 unit depending on how patient he is. o_O I haven't had his kidney numbers tested since the pandemic. I assume they're still terrible, but he's so much happier, not puking, not losing weight, etc., that we're just staying the course for now. Good luck with Max!!!!

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.