OTJ!?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by sheeboo, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheeboo

sheeboo Member

Hello everyone - I'm sharing the past few days of info with you all because I'm blown away! We will continue keeping a close eye on BG and ketones. I'm about to go looking through the posts here to read about how others have handled honeymoon.

Background:
    Khan was doing well on 1-.75U Levemir 2X/day and Friskies classic pate for most of the past year. I would check BG on Sundays and sporadically whenever he seemed off somehow.

In Feb, on a spot check, he was 32. So I started testing more often and we dropped him down to .5u/2X day. He was doing well on .5u but there were a few lows (40s). I finally got some more ketone strips last week so felt safe withdrawing insulin over the weekend.

Here are the past two days - no insulin since 7am MST on Friday.

Am I doing this correctly? Safely? Suggestions?

Thanks, everyone!
    Brie

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Brie your baby's numbers look great. I tested Candi everyday for a few days then a couple times a week then after that just periodically depending on how she is feeling. If she seems to not be feeling well or seems a bit more thirsty I will check. Take a look at her SS and it will show you how I checked hers.

Noah & me (GA) and sheeboo like this.
  3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I would have tried to lower his dose to 0.25 and then 0.1 before completly withdrawing the insulin, but since he seems to be holding just ok, for the OTJ trial we usually keep testing AM and PM at the usual preshoot time for a period of 14 days to see if he continues ok before declaring him OTJ if his numbers go over 100 do't panic you should test to see if they come down on their own and post in the Lantus forum for some guidance on what to do next

If everything goes ok the suggestion is to test once a week for a month and after that at least once a month or when he gets sick or you notice something is off

Noah & me (GA) and sheeboo like this.
  4. sheeboo

sheeboo Member

Thanks, all! Khan is still OTJ and I haven't caught anything above an 86. Tested a few more times than noted on the SS. He's a different cat; it is incredible just how different his behavior is. Much perkier, curious, cat-like. He even smells different, better.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hooray, this is great!

Noah & me (GA) and Magic Johnson like this.
  6. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

That is wonderful news. Keep up that great work Khan.

Noah & me (GA) and Magic Johnson like this.
  7. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Wonderful!!!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

The Big Man cut you a break. Let's all hope June goes better than May. :) :bighug: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.