Our cat Ron may be coming out of remission

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by NatashaL, Jun 5, 2021.

1. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

Hi everyone,
    Our cat Ron, thanks to this board, went into remission one year ago. We noticed recently that he had been eating dry food we had left for our kittens (and didn't think he knew how to get to). We tested him in the middle of the day today and he was 179. Two days ago, also randomly, he was 145.

We took the dry food away but we're wondering what to do now. Do we hold off on shooting until he hasn't eaten dry food in a week? Do we do a curve test starting tomorrow morning?

Thanks so much for your help!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

Well we waited to feed him and then tested again and he was 91. So I'm thinking maybe it was just that he had eaten too recently? @Deb & Wink you had helped us so much before, would you mind giving your thoughts? Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Any number of things can temporarily raise their blood sugar. Could be the dry food he was eating, hair ball, feeling yucky, saw a squirrel, etc. If it were me, I would start checking his BG a little more frequently over the next week or two to let the dry food get out of his system and keep an eye on how he’s doing, but the 91 is a good number :cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Natasha,

For now, I’d recommend monitoring Ron a bit more. Not a curve, but test at what would have been his old pre-shot time. If that BG is > 100, then test again in 3-4 hours, to see what his BG level is. Kind of like you would do for an OTJ trial. Test for at least a week, every 12 hours.

The message board was down last evening for a good chunk of time, so didn’t get around to answering all the questions before it was my bedtime.

p.s. Time to switch the kittens to low carb food. Then it won’t matter if Ron eats some of it.;)

Lisa and little likes this.