Our First Post

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SOBrien, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

My 16 year old cat, Boots, was just diagnosed this past Thursday. My vet was very supportive and optimistic, but of course I am scared. In my quest for information I found this group and have spent the last 4 days reading as much as I can. We started Boots on 1 unit of Lantus every 12 hours and we go back on 9/5 to re-evaluate Boots' numbers and determine the next course of action. I look forward to meeting everyone, learning from you, and hopefully being able to provide some support to you all as well :)

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Sarah and Boots. Excellent on getting your signature created. I hope you can review some videos on home testing, and start getting Boots ready for the actual procedure. You can pick out your testing site, give a treat, handle his ears like you are going to do the "poke" and then treat again. I am including a link to testing tips so that you can get a head start and maybe get your meter, strips and supplies. JanetNJ has an excellent video in her signature testing her CC, and there are many You Tube videos also. Here's the link::http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    There's a learning curve and both you and Boots are going to learn together, but it's doable, lets you know how the insulin is affecting him, helps prevent hypos and saves you money by doing your own curves. Review the information about low carb wet diets, if you haven't already and please post questions in the Main Forum, so that more members can see and respond.

AlphaCat likes this.
  3. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Thank you so much for the welcome! I think my vet saw the terror in my eyes after diagnosis and didn't want to put too much on me with the home testing right off the bat (she did say she would teach me soon), but I've read a lot since Thursday and I know this is something I need to do. I just saw JanetNJ's video and it was very helpful, thanks again!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

5. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Hi Sarah and Boots! I have one of those faces too. It's expressive, lol. But I'm stronger than it appears. It looks like you are too the way you are absorbing the info.
    Welcome!

6. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Your vet sounds fab.

Hi and welcome to the FDMB. There are some super people here who will help you enormously along this road.
    You are in safe hands

7. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! You're doing great and Boots is lucky to have you.

8. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Thank you so much to everyone. I really appreciate your support!

9. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.