Our Scared Kitty!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hello Group,

As you had probably read back in December, our Oreo (sugar kitty) died after a battle with cancer on Christmas eve. Debbie was his side-kick. She is 13 years old and was never the dominant cat. She has always been somewhat fearful and nervous. After Oreo's death she had been getting closer to us and even sleeping with us! However, the day after Thanksgiving we had a dishwasher flood in our house and this lead to major construction and noise. All of our floors had to be replaced and carpenters, painters and construction workers have been in our house. We had Oreo and Debbie quarantined to our bedroom. Then after Oreo's death, it was just Debbie.

Yesterday the workers had to go into our room to finish the floors. I had to literally grab Debbie to bring her into another room since I knew she could not stay in her regular space. NOW SHE IS TERRIFIED! She stays in her tiny cubby-bed, won't come out, and occassionally hisses at us! She has barely come out of her box today! We are really worried!!! She had a vet checkup and bloodwork last week and all seemed fine. Of course if she is acting like this on Monday it will be another trip to the vet.

Can any of you help with this behavior problem? We have never seen her act like this and are not sure how to help! She has eaten and takes some snacks from our hands. Should we give her lots of space and leave her alone or talk to her and try to coax her out of her cubby? HELP!!!! Sincerely, Carol, Oreo's Mom

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Think positive reinforcement - what things does she like/enjoy? treats? brushing? Play? Do those things to reward desired behavior.

Feliway diffuser(s) in the room(s) where she spends most of the time may help.

Some folks swear by certain of the Bach flower remedies (I haven't used them.)

Cats like to get in boxes or perch high to feel less vulnerable -make sure she has lots of nooks and crannies to snuggle in.

Relationship therapy - sit down on the floor and read aloud calmly. Let her decide to come to you.

You might read up on clicker training and see if that offers some ideas.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It may take a few days before she feels calm again. If she is in a room where she can be by herself, just leave her there. Put her food & litter box in the room so she does not have to come out of it. I don't know if it will work or you can even get it on her, but they make thundershirts for cats. If you ignore her, she will come out when she is ready. You may also want to give her a shirt or towel that has your scent on it to help calm her down.

4. lmummaw

lmummaw Member

I use the Feliway diffusers and sprays on a regular basis in the one part of my house where all my special needs babies live. I also use it when I foster a new kitty. I used to use Bach's Rescue Remedy a lot when I was working with kittens. That is a more immediate reaction than the feliway. Or time will heal her. The familiar small will probably help too.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I have a couple of skitish kitties. Loud noises or sudden movement scare them so some of the things I do to help calm them are:

1. talk softly, no loud voices
    2. walk slowly and wear only socks or soft soled shoes that don't make a lot of noise on the wood floors
    3. put out a bit of food or a treat to tempt them to come out.
    4. Tell them what beautiful kitties they are and tell them how much I love them.
    5. move slowly and let them feel comfortable with me again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.