Our Sweet Pickles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pickles's Human, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickles's Human

Pickles's Human New Member

About four days ago, I took our family pet, Pickles, to the vet because she was drinking noticeably more water than usual and she just seemed to be acting kind of peaky. Pickles is known to be an affectionate cat but her behavior started leaning into a clinginess that was unusual. Something was wrong.

So, I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with diabetes.They had done a urinalysis on her and found 1000 mg/dl of glucose in her urine. Then bloodwork was done and showed she had 502 mg/dl, which was way outside the normal range of 74-159 and was why all that glucose was ending up in her urine. So far, the vet has prescribed Prozinc and we are working on getting assistance to get Pickles treated. I'll also be trying to figure out what kind of food is best for her. Currently, we have her on Purina Naturals dry and Blue Buffalo wet cat food.

We have had Pickles for a year and a half and she is a wonderful companion animal to my grandma and I. I live with my 85 year old grandmother as her personal caregiver to help her with all her activities of daily living. When we got Pickles, she just rounded out our small household so perfectly. She loves to be in the kitchen with us and even has her own kitchen chair at the table. She will sit and listen to us talk and watch me like a hawk through the lattice of the chair while I am doing the cooking. Pickles loves to greet us and all our visitors when we come through the door. She is very popular with my grandma's home health providers that provide nursing and therapy as she allows them to get their work done but is ever present, monitoring what's going on in her calm, feline way.

We love Pickles so much and we're devasted at the news. However, it is a comfort to know that there is a community out there that not only has gone, or is currently going through the same as us, and is there as a support to each other.

Thank you for being here :)

-Elizabeth (Pickles''s Human)

Attached Files:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Pickles, Elizabeth and Gramma! You are a lovely family!
    First, feline diabetes is very treatable and although you are upset and feel devastated with this diagnosis, all is not lost. We are all here, most of us because of that diagnosis, and as you say have gone through or are going through the same.
    You may be familiar with human diabetic treatment, and treatment for cats is basically the same: proper diet, insulin therapy and blood glucose testing. Some human diabetics can be diet controlled and so can cats! Some of our kitties are in remission, that's off insulin and diet controlled, and you can set that ultimate goal in front of you and Pickles. In any case, getting Pickles to optimum health and well being is the first step.
    We can certainly help you learn about the diet (transitioning off high carb dry food, finding affordable low carb canned food), about the insulin Pickles has been prescribed, injecting the insulin and learning to test the blood glucose. It is doable Elizabeth, I promise. We have found all kinds of ways to cut costs, work treatment into our daily lives and go on to enjoy our furry friends every day. If you are in need of financial assistance to get started on treatment, you can contact Diabetic Cats in Need.
    Going forward please post in the Main Health forum with questions and concerns as more members monitor that forum, can read your posts and give response. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    It would be very helpful if you would create a signature so that we can see Pickles' information when you post:
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

You can look through the forum menu, then in the different forums to see what kind of information is provided, what members post about and the answers they get. You can tell Gramma that you have found a wonderful resource that is going to allow you to educate yourself and take care of Pickles on this new journey.
    Best wishes to you all and looking forward to helping out as you learn. :cat:

ohbell and Pickles's Human like this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Elizabeth, Pickles and Grandma.
    @Idjit's mom has given you great help so I will just say hi and hope to see you over on the main forum where there are lots of experienced people to help and support you.

Pickles's Human likes this.
  4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Welcome Ms. Pickles and her human!

Pickles's Human likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.