Out of remission, expired insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mizuniful, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizuniful

Mizuniful Member

Hi everyone. My cat Spork was originally diagnosed in 2017 I believe, and went in to remission within a few months. Remission lasted about a year until I tried to change his dry food, then he was insulin dependent for another year. He went into remission again in August 2020 and has been fine since. I check his BG monthly to make sure.

He had a major dental performed about 2 weeks ago. I was nervous and checked BG just before and the day after, both normal. He was pretty uncomfortable after his dental so I asked for some more pain medications and he received an injection of Meloxicam and 3 doses of Onsior. For the past few days he has seemed off and drinking more than normal (he has always been a bit PU/PD), so I checked his BG this morning and it was 399!!!

I gave him 1U of the insulin I still have in my fridge. It is Prozinc and was first opened in 7/20. The date of expiration is 2022. Is it still okay to use even after a year of being open? Or should I just get him a new bottle? I am really hoping this is just temporary and he will easily go back in to remission so I'd like to avoid a new bottle if possible.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome back...although I’m sure you would rather not be here!
    That’s bad luck.
    Is the SS up to date? I can’t see any recent BGs
    I think the insulin, if it has been opened for almost a year would be no good now. But you will see if it makes a difference with the BG.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We have a big fridge turned way down and half full of "expired" food. Pharmaceuticals are another matter and more so if the seal has been broken.
    You know the very instant you pay for a new bottle Spork will go back into remission right? The mysteries of owning a cat.
    If the day ever comes when Spork has long term pain and hates oral meds we used transdermal BUPE on a sugar cat with bad teeth that couldn't be pulled and it added at least two years to what would have been a miserable life.

4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

5. Mizuniful

Mizuniful Member

Sorry, the SS is not up to date! I used it when he was first diagnosed, but I did not use it after his first remission.

I KNOW he will go right back into remission after I buy a new bottle, that's why I don't want to! This old bottle was only used for a month last year since he went into remission just after I bought it, of course.
    I am thinking this bottle is going to be too old, though. I'll give it a week and then I'll buy a new one. Ughhh.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Can you provide a bit more information about the dental? Did your kitty need any teeth removed? If so, did they do X-rays after the procedure to make sure all of the tooth fragments were removed?

I would talk to your vet and have Spork's mouth examined. There could be an inflammation resulting from the dental. Any inflammation or infection can cause BG numbers to be elevated. Also, I would want to have labs done. Meloxicam is an NSAID. So is Onsior. Both can have an effect on the kidneys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.