Overwhelmed new member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janice and Ralph, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janice and Ralph

Janice and Ralph New Member

We were hoping diet would manage Ralph’s diabetes but it did not. Today we go for our insulin training. Feeling overwhelmed. Also just paid $360 for first vial of Lantus. Will be buying testing supplies after training, I guess? There is so much we don’t know at this point.

2. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

Check the date on the bottle it is only good for the time on the side once it is open. Its only 28 days that what means said . Unopened it is good for 2 years.

Janice and Ralph likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

I'm sorry that the diet change alone wasn't enough. It's possible that the addition of some insulin support will help put him on the path to eventually becoming diet-controlled, only time will tell.

Regarding testing: we are big advocates of home-testing here! Your vet may prefer so-called "pet meters" to do the testing, and they are great meters, but we've found that BG meters made for human diabetics work just as well for managing FD, and are much cheaper to run over time.

Speaking of cheaper, lantus is a great insulin for cats, but there are cheaper ways to obtain it than a $360 vial. We find that the pens are easier to use and have amounts that are more suitable for cats. With the vial, you may find that you don't use it all before it starts to lose effectiveness. Properly cared for (refrigerated, not frozen, not shaken, etc.), it should last for more than the 28 days listed (that's just what the company paid for a study on). The pens can last for months properly cared for, so presumably the vials will too, the main issue is that the vials hold a lot of insulin and cats' doses tend to be tiny, so it's hard to go through them in a reasonable time.

Welcome again, it is all very overwhelming at first, but we're here to help in any way we can!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Lantus is good for up to about 6 months after it’s opened if it is kept refrigerated.

Janice and Ralph and Critter Mom like this.
  5. JanetNJ

Welcome. Sorry about the diagnosis but you have come to the right place. For the next vial consider ordering from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada. They ship to the US. You can get it for about half what you paid.

For testing you will want
    1. A meter that takes a small sample. Many use a human meter such as the relion prime.
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 26 to 28 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds

I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I used to use a vial for 6 to 7 months, and eventually switched over to the pens and bought them from Marks Marine Pharmacy, which a lot of people do to save money. Never had a problem with them. It's just that you have to allow about a week or so for shipping, and I always tried to buy it when it wasn't freezing cold outside.

Janice and Ralph and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Yep. Kept refrigerated - in the body of the fridge, not the door - I would get 6 months from a 10ml Lantus vial. Saoirse only ever needed small doses so I never finished the vial before the 6 months was up.

Mogs

8. Janice and Ralph

Janice and Ralph New Member

The gal at pharmacy was extremely helpful once she learned Ralph was our cat. And explained the expiration date was of no concern. Made me feel maybe we were on the right track. Had our insulin training today. First thing our Vet said was she wanted to commend our choice to start the insulin program. She had my ❤️.
    Am thinking the pens would be a better fit for us. Found we can get them from Canada since we are only 30 miles from the Canadian/Washington border
    I am considering ordering from them next time. Also we are only 30 miles from Canadian/Washington border. If they open the border, we can go up there to purchase ourselves. Thank you for your response, very appreciative beginners here.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sadly many fall at the first fence. :(

I echo your vet's sentiments.

:bighug:

Mogs

10. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

11. Bennie Valites

Bennie Valites Member

I was wrong look on the pen it will tell you how long its good for. I called my vet and he said its good for a another week. There are a lot of answers to this. I would search on my own and go from there.

12. JanetNJ

The date on the side is assuming it's not being refrigerated. A vial or pen you keep in the fridge will last 6 months from the time you open it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Bennie. The 28 days expiration on an opened vial or pen is for humans who don't refrigerate their insulin and their doses are a lot larger than what we typically give cats.
    My kitty was diabetic for 9 years, and I have been on this board for a long time. If the insulin is carefully refrigerated, most people with diabetic cats can use a pen to the last drop, and vials often last for 6 months or so.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.