Overwhelmed with testing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by C Dwyer, Jun 20, 2021.

1. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

Teddybear was diagnosed about this time last year and went into remission within 5 weeks (didn't do any home testing). About 2 weeks ago he stopped eating. He was diagnosed again. I am now trying to home test. I'm not clear on when to test. Before he eats, after he eats, how much should he eat before i shoot? Do i give him insulin a certain amount of time after he eats? I just can't bear to test more than a couple times a day. He cries everytime I poke his ear.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi! So you test, then feed, then shoot. Which insulin is it?

If he's crying out you may be accidentally hitting the vein. Be sure to aim for the very outer edge of the ear. Give him A low carb special treat after each tests so he starts to associate testing with good things.

3. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

He is on prozinc. So if he is at 150 or less before he eats. I don't shoot? Sorry for all the questions, my vet gave me no guidance on home testing .

4. JanetNJ

Ok great. That's a good insulin. So it's not super important that he eats a lot.... Just that he's eating normally. My cat used ProZinc as well... If feed and she would graze through the day. Id feed a bit more at lunch, then dinner, and again just before bed.

We usually tell new folks not to shoot below 200 in the beginning until they have a few weeks of data so we can see how the cat reacts to insulin. That being said, if it's shot time and he's like 150, you could stall without feeding for up to an hour and see if the number is going up. If you are ever unsure what to shoot you can post on here and someone can help. At minimum you should get an am preshot test, a pm preshot test and at least one mid cycle test each day.

You might have noticed that most people on here have a link in their signatures to a Google spreadsheet. These spreadsheets are super helpful to track numbers, see trends, and get advice. Here's a link to our template and some instructions. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Don't apologize for asking questions! That's exactly why this site exists. Your cat is lucky to have an owner willing to ask questions and research best practices!!! :) is fantastic you've learned to home test. I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

5. C Dwyer

C Dwyer New Member

Thank you so much for the help. He tested at 210 before he ate. I'm afraid of giving him the shot if he doesn't need it.

6. JanetNJ

What is your current dose? Also what kind of meter are you using?

If you could set up a signature it would help in that you won't be asked the basic questions repeatedly. To do that click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed,insulin type,food you're feeding and any other health concerns. Don't forget to hit save.