? Pain after ultrasound

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bama Kitty Mom (GA), Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Bama had an abdominal ultrasound this afternoon after several weeks of inappetence and lethargy to see if his problems go beyond arthritis. The vet’s office didn’t tell me what to expect, just that they wouldn’t have the results today and will call when they come in. Bama is, of course, upset from being at the vet’s office and probably from being violated when they shaved a huge swath off his belly. He’s moving around like he is either sore from the procedure or in some pain. Those whose kitties have undergone an ultrasound, how did your cat act afterwards? FWIW, Bama was not put to sleep for the procedure. Thanks!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

My cats have never had any issues after an ultrasound. Did they say anything about him not being cooperative during it? It's not invasive so the only reason I think he would be sore is if he was twisting around and possibly pulled a muscle.

3. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

No, they literally told me nothing other than they’d call when the results are in.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I have had ultrasounds on 40 years of cats and dogs. There is no technical reason for pain unless it's an indirect response to the stress. General anesthesia is not used but most animals will do the usual squirming. Our vet calls someone in for ultrasounds so there's always the chance Bama may have leapt from the table and pulled a muscle or clonged his head. The woman that does this for us is not good with animals or people.
    There is something else you may not have been aware of. The (GA) you see after a members name means Gone Across, a members cat has passed away and gone across the bridge. We're not all from Georgia. If I was being nasty I would have told you three years ago. It's inappropriate but not a big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.