Pancreatitis info

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by flyingduster, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

ok, so I am going to do a search as I can, but need some support of anything key info for me.

Jazz got some tests done on Tuesday. My brain is on overdrive and I can’t remember specifics right now about the test she did for pancreatitis (she warned me on Tuesday that it was a fickle test and could only take a snapshot of a moment and that a negative result didn’t necessarily mean no pancreatitis) it was a lipase test??? Can’t remember exactly. Anyway! Today she called to say that a high reading would be over 5. Jazz came back at 22....

So I don’t really know what this means. My vet really wants to have her on a prescription food to eliminate food fluctuations or something, and while Jazz is currently eating really well the past few days, she wants her in for another test that i cant remember what it was at all. And that if she goes off her food again at all she needs to go in to the vets for fluids and nausea meds and pain relief to bring her through it.

I’m feeling overwhelmed all over again. I was getting a handle on the diabetes thing but now I don’t know anything about this and feeling in the dark again. Sigh.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy
    Sorry Jasmine’s test came back at 22.
    I am on my phone at the moment so can’t drag up info now but when I can I will send you some links.
    First of all, try not to feel overwhelmed. If Jasmine is eating well at the moment that’s good and I definitely would NOT let the vet change the diet to a prescription diet. It is not needed. I think that is a load of rubbish about fluctuations. It will be high carb which will stuff up the FD.
    Sheba used to get flare ups of pancreatitis for several years. A lot of FD cats seem to.
    Signs of a flare are nausea, no appetite, vomiting, feeling lousy and hunched up, diarrhoea and dehydration. Not all symptoms necessarily. Sheba used to get loss of appetite and felt bad and her BSLs used to go up and she was dehydrated.
    Treatment is getting SubQ fluids at the vet ( a lot of us do them at home) pain medication, initially an injection then oral at home, anti nausea injection.. we usually kept all the necessary things at home and at the first sign of a flare started treatment.
    It can last only a few days or a couple of weeks. Mostly supporting the cat while it subsides.
    I’ll send links when I can.
    Bron

flyingduster likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

4. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Right on cue, Jazz hasn’t eaten overnight and she’s unsettled and gurgly tummy. I have NOTHING sorted for her to treat at home and it’s early Sunday morning in a small town so nothing is open.

I’ve txt my vet and I’m taking Jazz in to them when they open at 10. She will stay in with them to be treated for a day or two.

I wanna cry. Poor kitty.

I will hopefully discuss with them about being able to do some more at home, but right now I’m just going with admitting her to get over this bout.

We were due to pay off the vet bill (from her DKA in Jan) next week too. Of course. Sigh.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Im sorry to read this. I hope she feels better soon. Sheba always responded to the regime pretty well. Some flares were better than others.

6. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Thanks for the link too Bron. I had noooo idea what even pancreatitis was or did or whatever. So I’m learning now. I feel so bad that the other times she was off her food that she was in such pain too.

She’s at the vets and we will see how she does I guess. I am worried something will go bad and I’ll loose her. Or that this will all get too expensive to maintain. But for now the vets are happy with a regular weekly payment so I guess that will just have to do, even if the bills keep piling up. Sigh.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I only once left Sheba overnight at the vet with pancreatitis. I used to manage her at home after they checked her over, gave a pain and cerenia injection and suqQ fluids.
    Maybe you can bring her home tomorrow and look after her at home. If she is stable, not vomiting and eating I think she would be happier at home and probably eat more for you than the vet.. But you are there and must do what you think is best for her.
    Sending vines.

8. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

The problem is that I’m working tomorrow so I can’t nurse her. This time it is just easier to let them deal with it as I wasn’t really prepared for it, but I will be talking to my vet about not needing to do this every time she has a flare up.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes probably good idea if you are working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.