patience, patience, patience...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Anonymous, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i am trying SOOOOO hard to just be patient with these #'s of tomtom and i'm guessing he is the most confusing case to date. even if it is infection. or god forbid cancer.
    it's hard to explain the method to my madness of shooting times on the board.
    in a nutshell he was crashing hard on 1/4 to 1/3 u in only +2 so i tried an experiment with the notion that the pancrease was kicking in with the meal at the same time i shot.
    tom is not a grazer, he eats all he can when fed.
    so i tried testing again +2 or +3 after am # and to my amazment he was dropping 150 or so on his own. well, that explains it.
    so i feed more often during the day.
    get flat #'s all day, to low to shoot but to high to be really happy with (130's)
    always highest in am.
    this am is 310 HIGJEST EVER last nite was 135 before bedtime.
    waiting 2 hours......
    last shot 48 hours ago was 1/4u which made him so lethargic i could'nt even wake him up!
    so...how crazy is this?

2. Bebe & Little Man

Bebe & Little Man New Member

Is your insulin u-40?
    Are you using u-100 syringes? these syringes always make it easier to dose small amts using the conversion chart.
    You have changed his food to low carb, right? Sorry I know you have probably gone over this.
    Do you work or are you home 24/7?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

bebe,
    ok, he eats low carb ff and raw rabbit has been since first dx'd in 07, and bebe if you did'nt know he was in remish after 29 days 1st time around this is us in the last 20 or so days out of remish.
    am using u140's eyeballing it.
    but seriously, this am at +48 on his last dose of 1/4 u he gave me 310, now 2 hours later with no insulin 154. do i shoot this with a little food?
    sooooooooooo confused.
    please look at SS

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i just shot him at +50 154 even tho after breakfast he did a self come down of 160 bg's in just 2 hours. he could probably go down farther on his own but i feel his pancrease could use a hand.
    i sign off as usual,
    soooooo confused,
    lori
    just to make it clear
    +48 310 fed no shot
    +50 154 shot 1/4u

does this make sense to anyone?

5. Bebe & Little Man

Bebe & Little Man New Member

Why did you decide to give insulin at 154? was this after the food brought him down.
    Get some u100 needles and use the chart to convert.

Feed him and check in a couple of hours.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That makes me nervous the lethargic thing after shots. I don't have experience with that - Bix usually perks up and starts running around and playing.

Maybe try shooting a fat 0 next time? I think it's basically 1 drop of insulin, but I've heard of people doing it.

*NOT* saying you need to shoot now, just talking in general terms....

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok, i shot him at 154 becuase i thought it was stressing his pancrease to expect it to bring him all the way from 310. it had been 2 hours after feeding and i did give a small meal with shot.
    if you look at his SS you'll see we have a trend....he can bring himself down but does'nt maintain anything but low 100's all day. i am trying to take a little pressure of pancrease after it does it's initial work following a meal

make sense?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

tell me about it joanna, it makes ME nervouse as hell. he is very insulin sensitive. even 2 years ago before we went otj he would get lethargic after a shot for an hour or two.
    i think he is getting the equivalent of a fat 0 becuase shooting 1/4 leave a tiny amount in the actual needle. a mere teenie weenie drop comes out.
    it amazes me that amount could do anything really.

9. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Wonder if the placebo effect works in cats. Cat gets shot (with 0 insulin), so cat expects to feel better, so bg comes down ...

10. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I've found H to be quite sensitive to 0.05U changes in dose. So just cuz' it don't look big doesn't mean their little bodies can't feel it. Looks ain't everything ya know. :smile:

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Lori, I don't know if you've been following Chloe's mom on health, but she seems in a similar boat, and Steve & Jock have posted some interesting thoughts on how it all fits together. I found it useful, and thought you might too. Or at least reassuring to know more about it, even if I still am vague on what exactly to do Bix-wise.

here is her latest thread, Steve posted on some earlier ones too: viewtopic.php?uid=205&f=3&t=5106&start=0

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow, thanks joanna, i did take a look at that thread and even pm'd steve....maybe he can offer insight. the #'s remain difficult yesterday for example
    am(+21) 279-----no shot, fed
    +24 93
    that a drop a 186 all by hizself in only 3 hours!
    this morning
    am (+45) 309------no shot, fed
    waiting on his +48 number to see if he needs help.
    and no i did'nt get a pm last nite as i had major leaking roof problems and was freaking out with roofer here at nite in the rain....you can imagine. i thought his bg's might be up just do to stress but i was so over the top exhuasted and trying to keep the bed dry etc. i just could'nt face it.
    he's never needed a pm shot before so i just went with that thought. and sheer exhustion.

13. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad Tom is still bringing himself down. That is great! Sorry for the leaky roof. What a pain that must have been. Hope you are now staying warm & dry.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok,
    amps +45 309 no shot, fed
    +47 143, shoulda waited till +3, fed small meal.
    +51 161 shot 1/4U fed small meal
    now you may be wondering why i did'nt shoot 309 but i did shoot 161.
    it's 2:30 in the afternoon. his habit is to drop by himself after breakfast. then stay relatively flat until his next am test. i don't like that he is likely either on his way up at this hour...or never went much farther down then 143. i am helping his pancrease get some rest.

drying out after storm...waiting for round 2 tonight!

15. Joanna & Bix (GA)

wow, he is a mystery!!! it's like his pancreas goes all snoozy w/o eating, but then is on fire once he eats!!!! wonder what's up with him? no wonder you are exhausted!!! hope the roof holds together better now... leaky roofs are the WORST!!! nothing like rain anxiety to ruin a good night's sleep...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.