? Pen use and air bubbles

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ohbell, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Ok,
    I really think I am having a bigger issue w/ air bubbles in the syringe than originally thought.
    I was under the impression w/ the pen, that is almost impossible.
    I do shove the plunger tightly before inserting into the pen, but do have to shoot some back to get the right amount. I have tried removing and releasing some into the sink to get the proper amount. I am horribly NOT successful at it.
    So, I have been adjusting while the syringe is still in the pen.....

Also, pen was opened the first of August. Should I start another? Has always been left in fridge and see no floaties. But have seen some air bubbles.

Thanks EVERYONE!!

;)

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi! Do NOT shoot excess insuline back into the pen! The lubricant in the syringe can cause the insulin to deteriorate.

To get rid of the bubbles:
    • draw a little extra insulin (yes you will waste a little, but not much)
    • remove the syringe from the pen
    • if you have a bubble (and you will, it's the air that is in the needle itself) draw a little air in
    • flick the syringe barrel to get all bubbles to the top and consolidate them, be sure to get the larger bubble centered under the needle
    • gently expel the bubble and any excess insulin. (I like to put a tiny piece of tissue or paper towel over the needle to catch the excess. That way it doesn't get on the fur and you won't smell it when checking for a furshot.)

3. Ann & Tess GA

As for replacing the pen, Bean's numbers are nice, but if the blue of the last couple of days continues you might need to switch out pens or increase. The bubbles in the pen are probably because you injected the excess back in and there was probably some air as well. Any tiny bubbles would consolidate from the pressure in the pen. Also store the pen upright in the fridge. After repeated punctures of the membrane the pen can leak a little insulin if it is laying down.

ohbell likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree -- don't shoot insulin back into the pen. Aside from the lubricant issue, the pen mechanism works with a negative pressure gradient. Once you withdraw insulin, that black plunger in the cartridge begins to move down so there's less of a chance for air to get in the container. If you take insulin out and put it back in, there's no place for the increased pressure to go. You increase the chance that the glass can crack.

ohbell likes this.
  5. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

thanks everyone!!!!
    should i try different syringes?
    done: draw up about 3-4U, tap the syringe for air to go to top, push out to 1.25 BUT there is still an air bubble that I cannot get out.
    I will try:
    Did try this:
    and still cannot get all the air out of the syringe....wth???
    so frustrated as I feel I am the reason why she is not getting the full 1.25

6. Ann & Tess GA

Some syringes are harder to get rid of bubbles. You might just need to try to compensate. You could try California Veterinary Supply they sell less than full boxes of 100 so you aren't stuck w/ a lot if you don't like them.

7. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Thanks Ann
    Do they have short needles too?

8. Louellen

Louellen Member

Oh heck...I am having the same problem with these darned bubbles and Lantus is not exactly the easiest viscosity to move bubbles around in and get out. :mad:o_O I've literally flicked syringes, fiddled, dumped entire doses (expressed into tissue) and started again until I'm cursing like a drunken sailor in a bar! :woot::rolleyes::eek:

I do press the plunger right to the tip of the syringe first, then hold the pen upside down (like you would a vial), tap the side of the pen lightly to get bubbles to the opposite end of the stopper on the pen, slowly withdraw, flick the syringe a couple of times and TRY to slowly express the excess into a tissue (NOT the pen). Either that expresses too much or it doesn't get rid of the bubble and I want to throw a hissy fit and toss it all across the room! :rolleyes::oops: :stop: :woot: I think I've dumped more insulin than I've shot some days! o_O

Some pharmacist has said that the units are measured from the top line (just below the needle) to the line markings of units you're aiming for so...IF you have a bubble above that first (top) line...it's not counted as part of the dosage so, not to worry if I can't get it all out as long as the insulin has no bubbles between the top line and the dosage line??? Is he correct? Any ideas???

By the way, haven't had time to be in her much lately...so HI AGAIN everyone :)

ohbell likes this.
  9. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

wow, sure would be nice if that is the case! Louellne!

Louellen likes this.
  10. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning! :coffee::coffee::coffee:

I concur with the others. there were time for me that I simply could not get all those bubbles out.... Many a time I just started over, new syringe until I had a successful draw, with no bubbles. I found too, that for me, holding the vial/pen vertically, vial/pen stopper pointed down, when drawing the insulin made a difference too.

Good luck!

Louellen likes this.
  11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Yes, I've been told there is room for "error by bubble" because the zero line is there. Also...although we all drive ourselves crazy there is no need to. Honestly impossible to be exact so we do the best we can. Now this is coming from a very neurotic cat mommy so easier said than feel :)

Louellen likes this.
  12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

When you get the bubbles consolidated into one bubble and get it centered (gentle flicking), then quickly and deftly pull the plunger down a fraction and then push up. This should expel the bubble. Now very slowly twist the plunger until you arrive at your dose. Always draw out a little more insulin than your dose. This gives you "room to maneuver".

Ella & Rusty

Louellen and Grayson & Lu like this.
  13. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

@ohbell I dont think you need to draw up 3 to 4 units if 1.25 is your end game...I would try maybe drawing out at most 2 units...once you take it out of the pen, maybe pull it down to 3 units and work on getting the bubbles out from there.....

Louellen and ohbell like this.
  14. Louellen

Louellen Member

Good idea! Didn't think to draw back the plunger (once OUT of the pen) even more, flick, then try expelling. Going to try that. :) Thank you. You may have saved some ears from newly created swear words! LOL ;)

Grayson & Lu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.