Pet insurance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Is it worth it?
    Which company to go with and which plan to chose.

anything else you have to say would be very helpful and appreciated
    Thank you!

2. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

I have Trupanion. They cover 90% of my guys diabetic expenses, but only covered 2 months of prescription diets - no maintenance food. We paid $28 originally when he was 7; $41/ month now.
    Any insurance now wouldn't cover your kitty for diabetes or other medical issues closely related to it ...DKA, likely kidney disease. ..so, I'm not sure if it's worth it now.
    Originally, they denied our coverage because my guy had urinary issues and one instance of stess hypoglycemia when he was hospitalized. If we hadn't won our appeal I was considering cancellation it and just putting monry into a savings account for him. We also have care credit so that always provides a bit of security.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use Nationwide.

One point to consider, though. As Ari pointed out, since Mimi has already been diagnosed, there's a reasonable chance that the diabetes will not be covered (or she'll be ineligible for insurance coverage) due to the pre-existing condition. I could not get Gabby insured. My civvie, however, is insured and the insurance was very helpful.

Mimis mom and Marje and Gracie like this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also have Nationwide. They covered Gracie’s diabetes expenses up to the limit of her policy (which was pretty liberal since she had Major Medical) but I took the policy out on her when she was a kitten and had no pre-existing conditions. Sienne is right that they might cover Mimi for other things but doubtful they will cover her for diabetes or any other pre-existing condition.

When we got Livia, I researched all the companies and I’m pretty sure, as I recall, that none would cover a pre-existing condition. However, I also took Nationwide out for Liv as she had a congenital condition and they are the only one that covers congenital conditions through their Whole Pet policy. It’s pricey but it’s been really worth it with her.

Mimis mom likes this.
  5. bbsarah

bbsarah New Member

I compared a few pet insurances on petinsurancefinder.com and chosen Pet Plan. Insurance really helped me when my cat starts vomiting. It covered 90% of the costs as was promised. So this insurance is okay for me and my cat

6. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

may I ask how much your policy was? Im getting quoted like 150-180$ from Nationwide. I haven't even looked if this coverage is for preexisting conditions

7. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I have Trupanion and they do cover congenital conditions (https://trupanion.com/pet-insurance/pet-insurance-coverage). They also offer coverage for Recovery and Complimentary Care by purchasing an additional rider for a small fee ($5) so that supplements, acupuncture, etc is covered.

The advantage is there is no limit to coverage like some other policies out there and this is key. Also, the deductible is per condition and not per year, so I paid one deductible for the initial diagnosis and any condition that has developed due to the initial condition is covered without paying any additional deductible or a yearly deductible. For example, initial diagnosis is chronic pancreatitis, so I paid the deductible years ago. When he developed diabetes due to treatment for the initial condition, I did not have to pay another deductible. He also had to have a cardiology work up, which was related to the underlying condition, so again, no deductible. They are extremely supportive, easy to work with and even cover CGM. Impressive company. Now if only I could use them for my own health insurance....LOL!

Si am cat mom and Mimis mom like this.
  8. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

That is good to know. I was a little apprehensive about this company because when I went to their website and typed in just a made up feline illness in their coverage box, it came back with a "Yes! We cover that!" So I tried typing my name in the coverage box and again it came back saying "Yes! We cover that." That's about as far as I went with it. :confused:

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I know they are working on their webpage, so maybe that’s causing the glitch! Give them a call. All of the reps are extremely helpful. There is a wait period (as with all plans) and then the first claim takes a little while to process while they do a check on the records but then all subsequent claims are processed super fast. My Mom didn’t enroll her cat until a few years ago when she was 13. Three months after enrolling, she needed to go to the emergency clinic and it was $2K. Trupanion checked the records & then paid the claim-they pay 90%. The amount of your deductible depends on what you decide to pay for your premium monthly (higher premium lower deductible). They do not pay the charge for the vet fee, but that is never what is expensive—it’s the bloodwork, scans, procedures, hospitalizations, medications. Again, the advantage of this plan is that they do not have any maximum per condition OR per policy. I caution with any companies that do because although the maximums may seem reasonable, it’s not hard to exceed them with any chronic conditions or serious diagnosis like cancer. Just something to factor in when making a decision about which company you choose.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  10. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Trupanion also doesn't have limits and the deductible is per condition- not calendar year. So, once I reached my diabetes deductible of $250- I don't ever pay it again.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.