Phosphorus binder

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Witn (GA), Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

My sister's cat may have kidney disease. There were some levels in Robbie's bloodwork that were in the higher range and she will know more when she talks to the vet on Tuesday. One of them was the phosphorus results. Since she has several cats and I know she will probably not change their diet, I told her to ask the vet about giving Dobbie a phosphorus binder. Are there any specific ones you can recommend? Where do you buy it from?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lisa --

This is a link to the page on phosphorus issues in CKD cats from Tanya's site. There's a link to a page on phos binders at the very bottom of the page. I linked everything so your sister has information on low phos diets, as well.

I went to see which phos binder I used with Gabby. I didn't note it on my SS. I believe I was using aluminum hydroxide and purchased from Thriving Pets. I also think it was where I purchased all of my materials for giving fluids (IV lines, needles/harpoons).

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Aluminum hydroxide binder is an excellent, affordable binder but causes constipation. To eliminate the constipation I and other add Miralax (really the generic ones to reduce costs) to the food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.