? Pinky got into dry food, frustrated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Danoodle009, Jan 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danoodle009

Danoodle009 Member

We have a bag of dry food sitting in our kitchen under the bar that is Pinky's previous food. We were going to bring it to the local animal shelter to donate, but I kept it on hand because I have been feeding a stray, and I am trying to get her to trust me enough to take her to the same shelter.

My fiancé found Pinky this morning with the bag ripped open just enough to get his head in, and was eating some. He's never shown this kind of behavior, and I didn't really expect it. I know better now, and the food is in my car, absolutely where he can no longer reach it. As expected, his BG numbers have been a little elevated today, which is incredibly frustrating, as his numbers were showing normal (I haven't been able to update the spread sheet for a few days, but I had moved to twice a day testing, and his numbers have been steadily normal). He also has diarrhea again. He has eaten about 200 calories of wet food today that I have been able to track, but he needs at least 260. He hasn't really wanted to eat more than that, and I wonder if it's because he ate too much before we caught him. I honestly have no idea how much of that dry food he ate, and I am kicking myself. I feel like I've reversed all the good work I am doing. Other than the diarrhea, he is acting normal.

Because I took the dry food away and am getting him back to his normal schedule, will his little tummy settle? I am going back to monitoring his BG 4 times a day until I am comfortable again with his numbers. I am really worried that this little episode made things worse. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edited to add previous posts:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/thoughts-on-pinkys-bg-numbers.272899/

Also edited to add:

He's on daily probiotics now, so I am hoping this will take care of his bowel issues.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat Sheba did the same thing.. I was amazed she was able to rip open the bag which was a very strong paper bag. You will need to remove the bag of food completely away and out of his reach.
    It could take a day or a bit longer for the food to get out of his system.
    It much you can do now that it has happened, except remove the bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.