Pinot Diagnosed on D-Day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robert Vittetoe, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I posted this information on the prozinc thread but wanted to do a proper introduction. Our cat Pinot (named after the dictator) 15 years old and 10lbs down 3.2 lbs since last vet visit was diagnosed with diabetes on 6 June. His blood sugar was 607. We started him on Prozinc 2 units every 12 hours today. The wife and I have some experience with diabetes. Both my kids (grown and on their own) are insulin dependent diabetics and we’ve had two dogs with diabetes that have since pasted. We’ve always said our biggest nightmare would be if Pinot got diabetes. He is not a very friendly cat and gets very aggressive. I have to put on motorcycle gloves just to get him in his carrier for vet visits. We have never been able to give him medicine at home. Luckily a few years ago he had all his teeth removed. So far we have been able to get the insulin in him (3 shots so far; 1 Friday evening and 2 on Saturday). We have to sneak up behind him while he is eating or on my lap. Not even close to being able to test him. I have a few initial concerns and will look for answers and post in the proper forum sections.

1. He has always been a free feeder with hard food down all the time and wet food fancy feast given several times a day. We are trying to get him off the hard food now. I’m really concerned with him not having access to food all the time especially since we can’t test him yet.

2. I’m going to get a meter in the next few days and see where that goes. Right now I’m just trying to get him to let me touch his ears.

3. I’ve read a lot on here about the low/no carb treats so we will get those today. Just not sure how to augment his eating with treats other than using them as rewards to try a test is blood sugar.

This sure isn’t going to be fine. Thanks!

Robert

2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Welcome Robert, Patricia and of course Pinot. This is a fantastic community of experienced members that will help you along the way.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi again Robert, Patricia and Pinot. Nope, this isn't fine but it's where we are. I will tell you though, this is the best place for you to be to learn how to take good care of Pinot and keep your sanity. My old man and I weren't at all sure that we could care for a diabetic cat and learn what we needed to do to help Idjit. Thanks to the people and the information on this board, we did just that.
    You can begin to condition Pinot by taking him to where you decide to test him. This should be a place where you are both comfortable and have good lighting. Give him a treat, rub and fondle his ears, pet and talk to him, treat and let him go. Do this as often as you can manage so he gets used to the idea. My hubby holds Idjit and soothes, I do the testing and that works for us.
    Idjit always sticks around until he gets his treat! We use small bits of poached or baked chicken breast, and that works well for us.
    Regarding the diet transition, since you are already doing insulin but not testing yet, go very slowly. Introducing the lower carb food is going to lower the blood sugar, and a drastic change all at once is not recommended. You can begin to introduce Pinot to a timed feeder, many of us use them, as diabetics do best with several small meals. There are 5 portion feeders and 2 portion feeders and you can take a look at them online from different vendors.

It's a challenge learning all the new information, but it's doable and you seem dedicated to doing your best for your kitty. We will help in every way we can. :cat:

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.