Pita's Dosing Party: 4

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hi all! Pita has been doing very well recently and absolutely loving our nice weather. I did a curve last weekend and it also went very well. I've stayed at 1 unit this week and think it's okay, but wanted to get thoughts on maybe going up to 1.2 again. He seems pretty stable so I don't want to make him all bouncy but figured I'd see other points of view. Thanks :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Nice numbers! You could try to nudge him down a hair with 1.2 u. Not sure if that'll send off into a mad bounce or not.

3. Caitlin M

Exactly my thinking with bouncing! Maybe I'll do it tomorrow night or Saturday morning when I can get more testing in.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a 1.1U on the U-100 syringes. :) Maybe a teeny tiny increase won't send him on the trampoline :rolleyes:

5. Caitlin M

PMPS was just 166. I was going to do the 1 unit as planned....I can test again at a +3 (or later). Thoughts on dose?!

6. Caitlin M

Stuck with the 1u. I'll make sure I test later and can always give a snack! I'm sure he won't protest :p

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops sorry we missed you Caitlin! I think 1 unit was a good choice...sticking with a dose when they get lower numbers is scary but I think it pays off.

8. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! I was a little late with everything tonight so I didn't want to wait any longer.

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Were you at +13? I think it was a good call, but do get that +3 later if you can.

I was going to say that I agree that you could probably go to 1.2, but if that was a +13 test, I'm having second thoughts...

10. Caitlin M

It was a +13! I know, don't they always seem to go lower when we talk about it?!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

It's in the air today. Just got a lime green from Teasel. o_O

Caitlin M likes this.
  12. Caitlin M

My goodness.

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woah!

14. Caitlin M

Hey all! PMPS was just at 140. In going to retest in 20 to see what I get. I doubt it'll even rise another 10 points, but regardless, I'm thinking I should try .8? I'm going to a friend's tonight and may not end up coming home (gonna enjoy a summer drink!). I know I gave 1 unit on a 142 AMPS the other day, but it was also during the 13 hour time frame. Help!

15. Kris & Teasel

I'd be careful at this low PS, especially because you might not be home tonight. You don't have enough mid cycle data when shooting low PSs to predict his most likely response. I wouldn't give more than half a unit max. (0.4 u with a U100) but it might be better to skip all together. Safety first.

16. Caitlin M

Hmm, I hadn't even thought about skipping. I may just do the .4 and make sure I come home. Thanks Kris! Why do I feel like this only happens when I'm not going to be able to test?!! :rolleyes:

17. Kris & Teasel

He's a cat! It's their mission in life to thwart us at every turn ... :confused:

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  18. Caitlin M

I also forgot that the better he feels, the less cooperative he is with testing!

19. Caitlin M

Hey all! So I may have made a mistake. AMPS was 103 today and because I'm home all this week I decided to just give .2 units. I've been testing all day and he's doing well but his +7.5 was just 111 and I'm afraid of him bouncing because I gave him insulin. Soooo I'll post his PMPS later to ask for help with dosing. :oops:

20. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug:It's ok, he's looking good. Maybe it will be a cycle like last night and he'll be blue at PMPS again :cool:

Caitlin M likes this.
  21. Caitlin M

I hope so since he's been having very good PS #'s!

22. Caitlin M

+10 was just 108. Lower than his +7.5 and I doubt he'll get up to 150. So I'm wondering if I should do another .2 units if PMPS is at 101 or above and no shoot if it's at or below 100? Give me thoughts please!

23. Kris & Teasel

I like that plan. Your boy is on a mission! :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Caitlin M

177 PMPS. Wondering if I should just stick with the .2 or go back to .4?

25. Caitlin M

Ok, gonna just give .2 again. Just wasn't expecting it to be so high all of a sudden! Not that 177 is high...but you know. Anywho, I'll do the .2 and see what tomorrow brings

26. Caitlin M

So. He ate and immediately jumped back outside (catio) before I could give him his shot. He usually lingers and knows he needs it. I spent almost ten minutes trying to get him back in, but to no avail. I had to go outside, open the gate and pick him up, just to bring him back inside for his shot! I feel like he's definitely up to something. He's never done that before, so I'm now VERY interested to see his AMPS. Oy.

27. Djamila

Nice numbers!!! With the +5 you got last night, I think going with the 0.2 tonight was a good decision.

Caitlin M likes this.
  28. Caitlin M

Thanks Djamila! And also a very good point.

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He's getting sneaky! I am excited to see his AMPS too!

Caitlin M likes this.
  30. Yong & Maury GA

Pita: "I'm fine Mum, don't need it tonight, gonna go plaaaaay!" :cat:

Rachel and Caitlin M like this.
  31. Djamila

That's quite a drop on a 0.2u dose! Go Pita!!!

32. Caitlin M

So far so good today! I'll stick with my same '101 or above= .2 /100 or below=NS' for PMPS.

Djamila likes this.
  33. Djamila

Wow! Look at that +5! :D

When are you moving?

Caitlin M likes this.
  34. Caitlin M

I know huh?! September 6

35. Caitlin M

80 PMPS. No shot tonight!

36. Djamila

Pita and Sam had the same AMPS today. I hope they have the same PMPS too!

Caitlin M likes this.
  37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ohhh Pita is doing so well!!! Keep it up Pita!!

Caitlin M likes this.
  38. Caitlin M

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. He didn't get his shot and ate dinner. Can he still go hypo even without Insulin? I'll test him before bed but I'm just curious. As far as tomorrow am goes, should I continue with the >101 gets .2 or <100 is NS? Thanks everyone! I just know since I do it so early I want to feel prepared.

39. Kris & Teasel

No, he shouldn't go hypo because ProZinc is out of his system after 12 hours or so.

Caitlin M likes this.
  40. Caitlin M

Kris, what do you think about the dosing? Stick with that..?

41. Djamila

Are you around to monitor tomorrow?
    Here's what my gut thinks: if he's over 100, and you'll be around, I think you could go with the 0.2, but if you are not going to be around, I think I would pull up a 0.2, and then let out a drop or two. So something like a 0.1

If you are not going to be around to monitor, err on the side of caution. It's better to skip than to overdose if you aren't going to be home. Remember that 50-120 is considered normal BG, and this is his first diagnosis, so you don't have to be as aggressive as I have to be with Sam. It's great if you can be there to keep an eye on him, but if you can't be careful. Okay, I've said that like five times now. I think you get the point. ;)

This is his first NS in a very long time, and the first one that is part of a larger pattern of declining numbers, so it will be really interesting to see what he does in the morning!

PS Sam was a 79 tonight -- soooo close to matching again!

42. Caitlin M

I will be around so I'll stick with my plan I think. Thanks Djamila! Glad to hear about Sam as well :)

43. Yong & Maury GA

44. Caitlin M

So this is me not really talking about what's happening and more curious as to how to proceed. What are the numbers I should continue at with a NS? 150 had previously been my no shoot number, but I obviously gave .2 on numbers much lower than that earlier this week. I don't want to give insulin just because he goes over 100 again, but I know he will. I also don't want to not give insulin and have him start rising too much. I know I just said things that I have no control over and won't know until I try! I saw on someone else's SS, numbers in the high 100's that still weren't given insulin and were fine, so I'm trying to gauge where to go from here. I hope that all made sense because my head is a bit of a jungle right now

45. Yong & Maury GA

lol I think I made sense of it! Yes you'll have to do your own experiments but your best SS to look at right now, might be Sam's (Djamila). :cat:

46. Caitlin M

I just looked and that's awesome! I'm curious to know about that also, if she hadn't dosed the first day he was above 100 again, what would've happened! Ugh, I greatly dislike experiments. But I guess I'll just have to roll the dice!

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Experiments suck...but they're part of the deal! I'd say pick a number you won't dose under for days when you aren't home (maybe like 130ish?). If you are home to monitor, then be more daring...and get data so you can decide if you can lower your NS number for when you aren't home!

Caitlin M likes this.
  48. Djamila

What I was told last time I was here (1st diagnosis and 2nd diagnosis cats follow slightly different "rules") was that under 120 you don't shoot because it's a healthy number. Right now my NS number is around 90. I don't think you should shoot Pita that low though. Sam's on his second rodeo so I'm told you have to be more aggressive with following them all the way down the dosing scale. I think if you're home to monitor, it's going to be a little bit of going with your gut on when to shoot below 120 and when to skip. You could still give a 0.1 or a Drop of insulin if you start to get a more dramatic response to shooting the lower 100's.

I agree with Rachel that if you aren't going to be around to monitor, I would raise the NS number a bit for the sake of safety.

It gets a little tricky, the farther into the NS zone you get. In the first few days, I would say that you shoot as soon as a shootable number pops up. But if you are on like Day 8 of NS numbers and get a 122 or something, I would wait for a second number before resuming shots. Those are just example numbers/days. There isn't a "rule" about Day 8 or 122 or anything. It's kind of a gut thing.

Basically I'd say just keep posting a lot and keep eyes on it and we'll all figure it out together! This part of the journey has been a little tricky and uncertain for us too. It's a lot of guess and pray.

Oh, and you asked what would have happened if I hadn't shot on that first blue. Who knows? My gut is telling me that he's not ready to go off of insulin yet. His numbers are in the healthy ranges, but he's still getting some insulin that's holding him there. Tonight is an example of that. I dropped his morning dose a bit, and he's back up in blues this evening. So he still needs the insulin. Maybe he would have gone back down if I hadn't shot that cycle, but more likely he would have started rising again.

49. Caitlin M

Thank you SO much for all of this. Very helpful and I appreciate it!

50. Caitlin M

Good morning all (although I'm going back to bed!). Pita is still doing well and my new experiment for PS is to shoot on a blue, NS on a green. So far so good. Maybe in a couple days I'll switch it up and try to NS on a lower blue as well. But for now I think this is good!

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see what happens!

52. Djamila

Ugh! What is up with our kitties tonight?!?! Sam is up in the 130s too. :( Kinda strange how similar their numbers have been the past few cycles!

53. Caitlin M

That is very strange. And I know! I don't understand and I'm trying to not be sad. I know it's still a great number. I also hope the .2 isn't somehow making him bounce a little. Grrr, what to do! We'll see what tomorrow brings again.

54. Djamila

I have to remind myself of that all the time. They are great numbers. It's hard not to get greedy for those NS days though!

55. Caitlin M

Oh god is it ever! It's hard not to feel a little bummed. We're in this together Djamila!

Djamila likes this.
  56. Kris & Teasel

You'll get there, Caitlin! :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  57. Caitlin M

I know there's no definitive answer to this, but he can still bounce even on such a low dose correct?

58. Kris & Teasel

Yes.

59. Caitlin M

Thanks Kris! I'm kind of wondering if that's happened. But I know I need to keep experimenting ;)

60. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Pita's looking great!

Caitlin M likes this.
  61. Caitlin M

So is Hermione! That's amazing!

62. Caitlin M

Who's ready for a Saturday night experiment?! Gonna NS on a 130 PMPS and see what happens :nailbiting::confused:

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  63. Djamila

I say go for it! Worst case you resume shots in the morning, right? But my money is on something in the low 100's ;)

ETA: kind of bummed that Pita's in the 130's again since Sam matched him again this morning. I was really hoping for something green tonight!

64. Caitlin M

Exactly! It could have just been a 'squirrel' moment anyway. Again, still a great number :p
    Hahahahaha they're like number brothers right now, I love it! Let me know what his is tonight, cuz it really is strange/cool.

65. Djamila

Nope, Sam was feeling a little rebellious tonight and got a 77. Maybe he's just taking the lead now, and Pita will hit the 70's in the morning!

66. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Follow Sam, Pita!!!

Djamila likes this.
  67. Djamila

Interesting that he got down to 85 all on his own last night! But too bad he popped back up again this morning!.

Caitlin M and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  68. Kris & Teasel

I think that these transitions that FD kitties go through aren't necessarily smooth. Whether it's moving from one dosing level to another or moving toward remission, or even regulation, the road is strewn with blips, surprises and hiccups. I have to keep reminding myself of that. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  69. Djamila

Have you read about the trick of giving a snack at +9? I've been doing it since 6/22 in the afternoons, and it seems to be working. All of the greens were days when he had a +9 snack. The blues were days I didn't get home in time. Sam isn't eating from the feeder for the +9 during the night though. :(

I'm almost willing to start getting up during the night to see if I can get him into the habit of eating then as well.

70. Yong & Maury GA

I've been thinking about that +9 snack recently; I know Maury won't complain :rolleyes:, but I'm holding off until he stabilizes. Let us know if it works for Pita :joyful:!

71. Caitlin M

I've never heard this! I usually set their feeder for +6 but did +9 today. We'll see what happens!

72. Caitlin M

Ok I am TRYING TO REMAIN CALM! Just did +6 and got 39. He's eating his pate as I type and is otherwise displaying normal Pita behavior. Here's the suck part-time I have to leave in no less than 20 minutes for a doctor's appt. What else do I need to do? I can test right before I leave, but I can't stay then! He just finished eating as well.

73. Caitlin M

I'm tagging you all also. Sorry! I don't want to make a new thread because I think we're ok and I'd like to not get a million responses. @Yong @Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

74. Djamila

If he's still low, just leave him a bunch of high carb food and abort the cycle. He'll probably be a bit high tonight if you do that, but better safe than sorry!

75. Caitlin M

Ha we cross posted. Okay, I'll open the fancy feast gravy I have a leave it for him. Thanks!

76. Djamila

Oh, I just realized you're at +6. You might be able to get away with just leaving him regular food - -but see if he's up at all in the next 20 minutes first. 39 is pretty low.

77. Djamila

Oh, and remember to lower the dose tonight. You might want to play around with some water to figure out how to draw a 0.1 or even a little less. It's tricky. I found it easier to draw a 0.2, and then slowly release drops and count how many drops there are altogether. Do it a few times until you have a consistent idea how many drops there are with the water.

Then with the insulin, draw up a 0.2, release half of the total number of drops, and call it a 0.1. It means wasting a little insulin, but I've found it to be the best way to get a consistent mini-dose.

78. Caitlin M

+20 minutes was 73. Probably because of the gravy lovers I gave him. Quite alright! I'll have to test that water thing for tonight for sure. At this point I'll also check in with how PMPS to get some advice as well.

Djamila likes this.
  79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Sorry I missed this...I know you're out the door. Glad Djamila was there!

Definitely time for a reduction tonight...which is GREAT news! Sounds like Pita decided he didn't want Sam getting all the attention for those low numbers. ;)

Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  80. Caitlin M

Trying to do .1 is gonna be rough!! But yes it's a good thing :p

81. Caitlin M

+9 was just 138. Unless he drops a bit I'm trying to figure if I should just skip tonight because it's a pretty big bounce or if I should just try the .1 :confused: so much fun for a Monday!!

82. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that's a tough one! I think I'd be tempted to try the .1 if you can monitor still...just because of that momentum thing. BUT...I'd wait and see what your number is before making any final decisions.

Caitlin M likes this.
  83. Djamila

I agree with Rachel. I'd try to dose if you can tonight. Of course if the number drops (which is quite possible still), then skip, but assuming it's still up there, I'd go for it and monitor.

84. Caitlin M

76 PMPS. Skip tonight?!

85. Kris & Teasel

I say yes.

Caitlin M likes this.
  86. Caitlin M

My goodness what an adventure today has been!

87. Kris & Teasel

Too darn much excitement some days ... o_O

88. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Go Pita!

89. Caitlin M

I won't be home until PMPS tomorrow so I'm gonna just do the .1 for the am!

90. Djamila

Look how far down he brought himself!!! Go little pancreas, go!!!

Caitlin M likes this.
  91. Djamila

If it was me, I'd probably be extra cautious in the morning. If you aren't going to be home all day, I'd up the no-shot number a bit. He's responding pretty dramatically to insulin right now.

92. Yong & Maury GA

Sorry I wasn't on to see tag, Caitlin, glad Djamila was here.

Caitlin M likes this.
  93. Caitlin M

Thank you for that advice!
    Not a problem at all! Hope you're doing well over in Lantus land :)

94. Caitlin M

108 AMPS. Pretty much exactly like yesterday. Giving .1 units after some water play yesterday! Also, change of plans and I will be home to monitor, so I'll test more today.

95. Yong & Maury GA

What a great 4th of July gift Pita could give, an OTJ trial (ANTI JINX) ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  96. Caitlin M

+6 was 59. So much better/gentler than yesterday!

Yong & Maury GA, Djamila and Rachel like this.
  97. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Now THAT is a beautiful +6! It's like the perfect nadir!

98. Caitlin M

Also, could someone explain that whole +9 snack thing?

99. Yong & Maury GA

From my understanding, for some kitties, adding the +9 snack can help activate their pancreas to get the next PS down a little :)

100. Caitlin M

Interesting....I had always given their snack at about +6 because it was usually his nadir. But I will totally try this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.