Pita's Dosing Party

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Did I say happy Friday already?! Wooo! However, I messed up the feeder and it didn't open today, so I had some angry boys! I also felt bad because as I was testing, Pita could not gobble up treats fast enough. So yeah. Lesson learned to quadruple check that I unlocked the feeder. On that note, his PMPS was 263. I know it was discussed last night about trying out 1 or 1.2 u at nights to try to quell the bouncing. I was gonna do 1.2 tonight since it is a bit higher. Thoughts? Thanks all!

StephG, Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Possibly due to being hangry (hungry + angry) :p

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I've had that condition myself!

5. Caitlin M

Amen to that

6. Caitlin M

+3 was 93. Better than last night as far as timing/drop goes. Should I give him any food or is he probably okay if I just test at +5 or +6 without? I think I'm going to try 1u both doses tomorrow and see what happens.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

If it were me, I would probably give a big tablespoon of LC for a snack to help the drop slow. :)

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Goodness that's quite a drop on a 1.2 dose. I'm with Yong that a snack would be in order. Although if you can manage it, waking up for the +5 or +6 test might also be a good idea. More for the data than out of any thought of danger though (as long as you give Pita some food to self-steer tonight).

Also, I have a feeling you're right about the 1u doses for tomorrow. At least if he's still showing you a blue PS.

9. Caitlin M

Well, I thank you both, but I passed out before reading any of this and did neither recommendation! AMPS was 165 so I'm doing 1 u. Also checked the feeder and it is unlocked for later! I'll be doing a +2 but then I'll be out for quite a few hours. Will do a +7 or so when I'm home. When I check him before bed tonight, if there is a steep drop as the last two nights, I'll make it habit to give a little snack before bed. I'll be home all day tomorrow so I'll try to do a bunch of tests/mini curve!?

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  10. Caitlin M

+2.5 was 104, +6 was 154. Wondering if 1.2 would have been better. But that's ok! I'll see what PMPS brings and probably stick with the 1u for tonight also. Could he still be bouncing a bit?

11. Djamila

It's so hard to say right now. He could still be bouncing. This would be cycle 4 and they typically last 3-6 cycles. Pita hasn't been particularly bouncy, so I would bet the bounce has cleared already. It's also possible that there was a high green around +4 or +5, but I agree that 1.2 would have probably been fine today. This is why going down the scale is as tricky (if not more so) than going up the scale. At least going up there are some tried-and-mostly-true "rules". Going down it's kind of a guessing game.

12. Caitlin M

Ugh it's very tricky! I'll get there...

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  13. Djamila

Yes, but as soon as you think you've figured it out, Pita will be ready to move again! ;)

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  14. Caitlin M

242 PMPS. Should I stick with the 1 or go with 1.2 u tonight? o_O

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could try 1.2 u and get at test at +2 or +3.

Djamila likes this.
  16. Caitlin M

That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks!

Djamila likes this.
  17. Djamila

Your daytime cycle is the 13 hour one, right?

I think 1.2 tonight is probably fine, but I'm wondering if you should try 1.2 during the day and 1.0 at night. That might give you a better night's sleep, slightly safer AMPS, and get back to greens during the day. Or not. It's just kind of a guess right now about what will work.

Caitlin M likes this.
  18. Caitlin M

Yes 13 is the day cycle. Yeah I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Lots of fun back and forth!

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  19. Djamila

At least we're in this boat together right now! I'm kind of dreading the PMPS since I know it will be a guessing game to figure out what to do with whatever number he shows me. I just keep reminding myself that this is good chaos...

Caitlin M likes this.
  20. Caitlin M

I like the sound of good chaos! Its been so up and down I don't even know how to feel!

Djamila likes this.
  21. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good chaos is certainly the problem to have! It's stressful, but hopefully it will pay off soon. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  22. Caitlin M

Fingers crossed :smuggrin:

23. Caitlin M

253 AMPS. Going to do 1.2 u and hope that it's enough to see some nice greens and not raise as much for PMPS.

24. Caitlin M

+5 was 137. Might have gone lower before but we all had a sleep/snuggle fest and didn't wake up before that :smuggrin:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  25. Djamila

Lol...sounds like a perfect morning! And also, maybe Pita isn't quite ready to go down to 1u yet. It's a dance, and only the kitties can hear the music!

26. Caitlin M

It was very nice! Yeah I know I'll be gone tomorrow but I may try 1.2 tonight and 1.4 tomorrow am. See how a couple days at those doses go.

27. Yong & Maury GA

Now he's going to give you some lower PS again :joyful:

Djamila likes this.
  28. Caitlin M

I can only hope! Lol

Rachel likes this.
  29. Caitlin M

PMPS was 253... Exactly like this am. So weird! Gave 1.2 so I'll see what tomorrow brings

Yong & Maury GA, Djamila and Rachel like this.
  30. Caitlin M

AMPS was 227, gave 1.4u. PMPS was just 206 and I'm going to give 1.2u. I know these pre-shot numbers are fine (good even?) but I'm feeling a bit meh! I can't tell if I need to give slightly higher doses again, or if he's bouncing or if I just need to chill the frick out. I'll do a +2 or +3 tonight. Just needed to express my blah-ness. Maybe it's the Monday blues (or lack thereof!)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  31. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug: I think they're very nice PS numbers. His body may still be making minor adjustments with the 13/11 schedule :). Hang in there, Caitlin! :bighug:

32. Caitlin M

Thanks Yong! I'm trying not to feel down. :)

33. Kris & Teasel

He's doing well, Caitlin, - no need to feel defeated.

34. Caitlin M

Thanks Kris. Maybe it's just me feeling blah so I'm placing it on him. Thank you for the reassurance!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  35. Caitlin M

+2.5 was just 143. Heading to bed. Goodnight all!!

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's tough sometimes, no matter what. Those are really lovely numbers though...the low yellows means he probably spends time in healing blues and maybe greens during the cycle, which is good!

37. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! You guys are great and I appreciate the positive reminders :kiss:

38. Djamila

Sorry his numbers are a little higher again. They are still good numbers, even if they aren't the numbers you're wanting. Hang in there!

Caitlin M likes this.
  39. Caitlin M

This am was rough. I woke up a tad bit late/wasn't assaulted for food and then couldn't get blood from either ear. I just gave 1.2 based on his numbers lately. He's starting to do the perk his head up and back away bit again. We're actually at the 2 month mark and and the last time I had this issue was about a month ago. It's like every month he'll go through a phase of not cooperating and then somehow stop. So, I think between my new job and being a bit more tired right now, he and I may be in for a small battle again. I'm trying to be calm and positive but I'm not sure how else to test him. I'm hoping it was just this one time and he/we will relax and be able to do this.

40. Kris & Teasel

Maybe a version of my method would help:
    1. sit on floor with kitty facing outward between your legs
    2. raise your knees and cross your lower legs in front of him to make "walls" around him (not tight)
    3. roll a small hand towel, place it under his chin and overlap the ends at the back of his neck - makes it harder to do the "jerk head forward" thing.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  41. Caitlin M

I'll have to try, thanks Kris! It's funny because the second he hears the drawer open he sits in his spot and starts purring! Even if he gets away for a moment, he walks back over. It's just him being defiant and not letting me hold his ears again.

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hope it gets better soon!

43. Djamila

Kris, that towel idea is brilliant!

Caitlin, do you think it's because he's hungry? A couple of times Sam has been impossible just because he really wants his food. So I've put the plate in front of him and let him start chowing down, and done the test while he's eating.

44. Caitlin M

I'm not sure Djamila! I'm inclined to say no. Yesterday he and brother started knocking stuff over, meowing in my face, general rowdiness to wake me up and feed them. This morning they both slept til I got up. He definitely has no problem telling me when he's hungry, but it's always a possibility! Plus, he gets a lot of treats as we test, so he still got a good amount this am. I know I hold his ear a bit differently (maybe firmer) when I'm about to poke, so he probably knows when I'm about to try, but I don't know how else to do it!

45. Djamila

Lol...oh kitties! Fingers crossed he settles back down soon.

46. Caitlin M

Thanks, I seriously hope so! Lol I know he loves me.....:confused::p

47. Yong & Maury GA

He has a reputation to keep up :smuggrin:. Next he will poke his own ear! Maury did this last night haha. Flicked his head at the wrong time :cat:. Luckily the lancet was in the right area. One of those things I could not have done if I was trying :)

Lois and Java likes this.
  48. Caitlin M

Hahaha that's awesome and I'm glad it worked out ok! Ugh, I'd like to think he's just telling me to get it over with and maybe I'm taking too long. o_O His reputation is well intact!

49. Caitlin M

Success! Knock on wood :nailbiting: PMPS 222, giving 1.4 and will try to do a + before bed. :facepalm:

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  50. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

All right! Does he have any special treats he absolutely loves that you could use for test time? You could reserve those only for tests to help make him look forward to it maybe...

51. Caitlin M

Yes the food he gets are for testing only :) he would eat anything though

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  52. Caitlin M

+3 was 175. I'm wondering if I should up the doses by .2 for each shot? Maybe 1.6u am, 1.4u pm and see how it goes? Let me know some thoughts!

53. Yong & Maury GA

I would wait to do the 1.6U for AM dose when you can grab some mid-cycles. Usually, told to wait for increases when you can monitor :). Let's see what the others think :cat:

Caitlin M likes this.
  54. Djamila

I agree with Yong, and also add that bouncing the dose around a ton usually results in pre-shots that are bouncing around too. ECID, but holding a dose for a few cycles has yielded better results for Sam than when I get anxious and start messing with it, trying to chase the pre-shot around. (Doesn't mean I don't still do it, but I know it doesn't work as well as just being patient does). I think 1.4 seems like a good dose for a few cycles. 1.8 was too much. 1.0 and 1.2 weren't quite enough. Which leaves 1.4 and 1.6. If it was me, and I was being patient (hahaha), I would maybe try 1.4 for a few days, and then if his numbers aren't where you want, then try to the 1.6.

55. Kris & Teasel

I'm a fan of keeping variables to a minimum in order to evaluate a dose.

56. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ditto! :)

57. Caitlin M

Thank you all! I was feeling a little impatient but wanted to see about it anyway! I'll see what the rest of the week brings and then maybe bump to 1.6! AMPS was a wonky 426....Whaaaat?? Lol someone had a crazy night :confused::rolleyes:

58. Kris & Teasel

Just one bouncy number. The increase in blues on your SS tells you what's going on. Always good to squint at the SS periodically to evaluate progress. We tend to fixate on individual numbers too much and that can be deceiving.

59. Caitlin M

Thanks! I'm still not confident in looking at the SS and knowing what's happening but I'm understanding more.

60. Yong & Maury GA

I think Maury and Pita were together :p. We were enjoying a yellow, blue, and a nice green SS, then he throws some pink back on it :confused:

Caitlin M likes this.
  61. Djamila

The red this morning is certainly curious, but so is that 155 this evening! What's Pita doing?!?

62. Caitlin M

Hahaha omg I was shocked! I won't complain but am SO confused.

63. Caitlin M

Crazy cats! But they're our babies

64. Yong & Maury GA

Just my two cents :rolleyes:, the 426 could be a bounce from last night if he went below 111. Then giving him 1.4U on that bounce was too much, resulting in the lower 155 PMPS. Would monitor him as late as you can to be safe :cat:

65. Caitlin M

Yeah that's what I'm figuring. Oy. Gonna do a +3 before bed and see where he is. Thanks!

66. Yong & Maury GA

I kind of went through the same thing today :D. Hoping at +3 we can both go to bed! :woot:

67. Caitlin M

Gah, considering I'm falling asleep on the couch, I seriously hope so!

68. Djamila

Maybe take a nap now?
    Yup. But I don't see a 111?

69. Caitlin M

I just did a +2.5 and he's at 207 :arghh::confused: lol I'm stumped but I guess can also go to bed. There wasn't a 111.

70. Yong & Maury GA

It's my theory to explain the bounce. If the nadir number is less than 50% value of PS, they might bounce :). Last night PMPS 222. If nadir was above 111, would probably have his typical AMPS reading. Guessing he went less than 111, causing a bounce :p

Caitlin M likes this.
  71. Djamila

Ah! 50%! Yes! Totally missed that.

72. Caitlin M

I figured that's why!

73. Caitlin M

I feel like a bit of a dummy! I was going to do 1.4 in am, 1.2 pm. For whatever reason I haven't been doing that exactly every day. PMPS was crazy! Not bad per say just, I don't get it! I'm hoping it's bouncy- never thought I'd say that. It's weird. Anywho, I will at least do the right doses tomorrow and see how it goes with possibly going up this weekend when I can test more.....End rant :woot:

74. Djamila

Ugh. That's icky. Any other changes that might be impacting things? Eating? pooping? peeing? playing? It's entirely possible that it's just one of those things too. You know....squirrel!

It's always helpful when you can see those mid-cycle numbers over the weekend. Hopefully that will give a better idea if he's bouncing from hidden lows, or needing a higher dose. Hang in there! Just one more day!

How's the new job going?

75. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whew! Yeah that's a not so nice number...but it's tough to know why. Hopefully it's just a bounce!

76. Caitlin M

I think it's just one of those things! He's eating, urinating, defecating normally. He's been playing normally too as far as I can tell. He started going crazy for food this am around 3:30, which was not happening. AMPS was 432, gave 1.4. I'm definitely ready to try to figure this out! I also can't wait to sleep one day this weekend. I went to bed a bit earlier last night and am still exhausted. The job is great! No complaints (yet :p) just longer days. Thanks for asking!

77. Caitlin M

Hopefully! Was a bit dissatisfied with today's AMPS also :banghead:

78. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That indicates a bounce to me, really. He's had some lower numbers lately and if he went even lower during the cycle, that could cause those higher numbers last night and this AM...just a bounce for more than one cycle. :bighug: It's almost the weekend...hopefully you can get some data this weekend and know!

79. Caitlin M

Bouncing, bouncing with no place to go....oy! It's making me wonder if the dose is too high? They can bounce is the dose is too low also...?

80. Djamila

Sam woke me up in the middle of the night a few nights back and it turned out he was down into the lime green numbers....so I wonder if Pita was a bit low? It was later in the cycle than I would have expected. He's usually rising by then, but things are a little unpredictable for him these days. Of course, if middle of the night begging is normal for Pita, then he might have just been begging!

Glad to hear the new job is going well! Hopefully you can get some rest this weekend!

81. Caitlin M

Well I tested him about 45 minutes after he started to wake me, so I don't think he can go from lime green to red that quickly? Thanks!

82. Djamila

You wake up early! No wonder you're tired!

83. Caitlin M

4, 4:30 every day. Leave at 5 for the gym :woot:

84. Yong & Maury GA

Pita maybe just being a PITA again :p:smuggrin::bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  85. Djamila

Wow...that's dedication!

86. Kris & Teasel

:eek:!!

87. Caitlin M

AMPS was 157, gave 1.2, +4.5 was just 91. Gonna do another test somewhere before the 13 hour/PMPS.

88. Kris & Teasel

Looks really good so far!

Caitlin M likes this.
  89. Caitlin M

Seems like the crappy numbers were definitely a bounce. Fingers crossed!

90. Djamila

That's a nice +4.5! So I wonder what's going on at night? The +2-+3 look plenty safe to avoid bouncing....but I wonder if he's dropping low later?

91. Caitlin M

I'm wondering too. I may have to suck it up and do a random middle of the night test.

92. Djamila

Ugh. I do not love getting up to test, so if you decide to do it, you have my admiration! You can see on my spreadsheet that it pretty much has never ever happened. Except that one time when he woke me up and made me. Can you just go out tonight with friends and do something fun and get home late and test him then? ;)

93. Caitlin M

Lmao, that's EXACTLY what's happening tonight! A good friends birthday.

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  94. Caitlin M

+8 was 102! Gonna wait for PMPS now. I'm guessing he may have gone lower after the +4.5 but he also had a snack at +6 when the feeder opened. :)

95. Yong & Maury GA

3 102's today!
    Maury, Pita, and I think Yoshi! :cat:

Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  96. Caitlin M

Lol it truly is funny how alike some cats are

Djamila likes this.
  97. Caitlin M

Ok, PMPS was 171. I gave 1.2u this am on a 157 and 13 hours. Should I just do 1u tonight since it's only 11 hours til next dose, or just do 1.2 again?

98. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think I'd do 1. You want to make sure you get a shootable preshot in the morning, and with what 1.2 did last night, I'd want to be a little lower since you have a lower PMPS. :)

99. Djamila

Tough call. On one hand, if you give the 1.2, you'll be home later to see how it's going. On the other hand, you're suspicious that he's bouncing, which could indicate that the 1.2 is too high, and if so, 1.0 might be better. I guess if it was me, I might go with the lower dose because I tend to be conservative in dosing, and even if 1.0 turns out to be not quite enough, Pita is in good numbers, so he'll still be fine. Although if you do 1.2, you'll get to see what's happening when you test later. Although if you're right about the bouncing, he could go low while you aren't home.....

I am no help at all.

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  100. Caitlin M

Thank you! I was leaning towards that as well buy happy to have the second opinion.

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Djamila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.