Plaque prevention product?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diana&Tom, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of or used a product to keep plaque on their cat's teeth at bay? Not toothpaste. After my civie Sapphire's dental yesterday (thankfully ok) the vet mentioned a product called Plaque Away, a powder that can be sprinkled onto wet food to try to stop plaque build-up. It sounds a bit too good to be true and I imagine "works" in the same way as dry food is supposed to, ie the slightly abrasive texture stops wet food clinging to the teeth so much?

I'm not convinced of the dry food being better for teeth theory, and I'm not going to start feeding dry just in case it helps Sapphire's teeth. My vet suggested Plaque Away (she wasn't pushy about it) and I might have bought some but she didn't have any in stock - so I can't imagine it's in great demand. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it, or something similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProDen-Pla...13&hvtargid=pla-402157166396&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Diana&Tom

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

article 1 - Best method is to brush your cat's teeth daily with a small toothbrush, no toothpaste required.

article 2 - Feeding chicken (or other poultry) necks is a good choice to keep tarter from forming is also an option.

I've tried the chicken necks with my kitty Dancer. She only has a few teeth left, canines and a couple of teeth on the upper left.
    (pulled due to stomatitis when she was really young). She likes the necks, but I do cut them into smaller pieces, feed them raw. They do not stay in the food dish and get dragged all over the kitchen floor, so cleanup after is needed. Once a week works for her to get the chicken necks.

Jennifer R. and Diana&Tom like this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I clean Harry’s teeth every night with toothpaste. He is compliant. Clover I could not get near at all, she would scratch me. I feed bones several times a week as part of the raw diet.
    I have heard of plaque away. I remember a girl from Western Australia here on Fdmb whose name escapes me for the moment and she tried that with her cat who had ongoing problems with his mouth. I think she found it ok. Not perfect but helped.
    You would probably remember her Diana, she had an elderly male kitty who had stomatitis.

5. Diana&Tom

Thanks Deb and Bron. I know brushing is ideal but no way would my Sapphire let me do that.

I'm thinking that Plaque Away might be better than nothing so I may give it a go. I can't think of the Aussie girl you mention, Bron - I take it she's not on the board these days?

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No she hasn’t been around for about 2 years or maybe 3. Her kitty died in 2016 I think.
    I couldn’t clean Clovers teeth either.
    Would Sapphire eat bones?
    Would she let you rub her teeth with a small rag? That would rub off the slime which builds up first on the teeth?

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Diana&Tom likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Sandi & Whisper
    Yes! Thank you! Of course it was Vyktors Mum. It was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn’t remember it. Thanks for posting it. It was bugging me not being able to remember.

10. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

I started using Plaque Away a few weeks ago. I have no idea if it actually helps, but all 4 of my cats will still eat their food with it spinkled on (although I mix it up a bit with the food for 3 of my cats since they can be a bit pickier- Socks will eat anything, so I don't have to bother mixing for him).

I also recently purchased some PetSmile toothpaste, but haven't tried it yet. For best results, they recommend you use a brush or swab, but supposedly you can use it without either. Just put some on their teeth and "their tongue will do the rest". I bought the swabs to try with the toothpaste. I've had it for about a week, so I should really go home and try it out.

Also, as to dry food helping to clean the teeth, I've never done any research, so I don't actually know, but one of my vets told me years ago to switch to wet food because it's better for cats. They shouldn't get all those carbs (which is true) and the starches in the dry food will stick to their teeth and cause tarter, whereas wet food just slides off, and of course that's their diet in the wild- not crunchy kibble. Makes sense, but like I said, I don't know if it's actually true or not, just some thoughts.

Diana&Tom likes this.
  11. Diana&Tom

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm thinking I'll give the Plaque Away stuff a go on the basis that it can't do any harm and might just do a little bit of good!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) hi Bron what type of toothpaste do you brush Harry's teeth with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.