PLEASE HELP: Help please. Joe will not eat

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Susan Pomo, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe has been low as of late, so low that I have had to stall to give shot. Today he was super high #'s and he will not eat. I was able to test once, but only once because testing requires me to get him interested in some tuna bites with tuna water and he has turned his nose up that. I did shot anyway since he had some bites.
    Can I give him something I feel he will eat even if it is not in his diet? Meow Mix Medleys?
    He also has stage 2 CKD
    Edited at 12:30. Joe is now hiding. licked a tiny bit of juice from a meal I presented but only once I slid it to where he was hiding.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  2. Judy & Fritz

Judy & Fritz Member

I am such a newbie, but since no one has replied to you, I just had to. If Joe is not eating and is hiding, do you have ketone test strips? You need to know if there are ketones in his urine. There are also certain strips that test for ketones in the blood. I can tell you from bitter experience that shooting insulin without the cat eating can have devastating consequences. My vet was no help nine years ago, actively discouraged me from home testing, and my girl died from a very sudden severe hypoglycemic event because I shot insulin as she began her meal and then she simply refused to eat anymore. Before her meal, she too was hiding. I felt like I murdered my baby and I will never do that again. You say you can’t test because of his lack of interest in food. He won’t allow testing without food as a distraction? Please get Joe to the vet. If things haven’t changed in the past two days, it sounds to me like you are in an emergency situation.

3. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

4. Judy & Fritz

Judy & Fritz Member

Found it, thanks!

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  5. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe went to the vet and he is fine. He is eating today and the vet says that his numbers look good.

6. Judy & Fritz

Judy & Fritz Member

Wonderful news! Good for Joe!