Please help me with dosing/going low??

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ickes, May 29, 2019.

1. Ickes

Ickes Member

I need some help with what I should do with dosing. My cat Noah has been on prozinc for a little over a year. He had pancreatitis in December and we almost lost him. Since then he has been doing pretty well but as you can see form his spreadsheet his numbers are kind of all over the place. He has recently in the last couple of days gone really low (31 this morning) on his current dose of 3.75 and went down to 53 the night before. His numbers have been in the 114-174 all day today so I didn't give him insulin. I am going home to check him a few minutes and he will need to eat again. Should I give him insulin if it in the upper 100's and how much or should I wait until he reaches 200 range again? I would love it if he is going in remission. I had to give him gravy wet food yesterday morning and then again this morning due to bg being in the 50 and 30 range. The 31 this morning scared me to death. I don't want to keep him from going in remission but I have no idea how much insulin to give him. I am uncomfortable giving him insulin if it isn't at least 200-250 range. Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your dose is obviously too much of she hypoed two days in a row. Try 3.5

3. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, anytime you get a lime number, it’s a good idea to lower .25 like Janet suggests. (@JanetNJ my ipad’s autospell suggests “JanetNJ” when I type the first letters of your name! I don’t know if I should be like this :D or like this :nailbiting: ??!)

As for learning if/how to shoot on lower numbers, it does take some trying, collecting data, and seeing what happens. Since I think it’s good to hold the dose rather than adjust it based on a preshot number, what we did was to first lower the beginning-protocol “no shoot” number of 200 to 180 and saw how that went. And then we tried lowering to 160 and saw how that went, etc.

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Ickes

Ickes Member

Ok I waited for him to come back up but now is in the 300’s again. He is very sensitive to dosing and seems to run high for a few days then back down. He had been on 3.75 for awhile and was doing really well. I think if I had lowered his dose when he started running lower I would have been ok. The vet doesn’t really know what to tell me. I even paid top dollar to go to a hospital for him and they said don’t check him at all until curve! Of course I’m not doing that. I have learned so much on this site. I gave him 3 units because now that I see this I will do 3.25 or 3.5. I took it down too much:( He seems to low on any dose for awhile then high. Thanks for the help.

5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

It’s okay! :bighug: I used to “pull the dose” all the time and then feel terrible about it, but we are just doing the best we can. Hypos are scarey, even though we know what to do, and so I totally understand the instinct to pull back. You can sneak him back up again tomorrow and then let him settle into that dose for a few cycles and see where it leads.

Someone out on main has this from Maya Angelou in their sig block, and I have found it so helpful: “Do the best you can until you know better, and when you know better, do better.” :bighug: