? Poop question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Raquel-Mugzee's mama, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raquel-Mugzee's mama

Raquel-Mugzee's mama Member

I haven't posted in a while. We have had lots going on, but Mugzee has been doing great. We had a major move out of state and I still need to get him established with a new Vet. I am wondering about his poop. He has been having runny yellowish poop for a while now. He seems like he feels fine, in fact, better than he has in a long time. His glucose numbers are in the blues and greens now and I haven't given him any insulin for a few days now. One pattern I have noticed is that his numbers read higher first thing in the morning and then even without giving any insulin, his numbers will drop later in the day. I am wondering if the change in his poop could have anything to do with his pancreas. The other thing is he had multiple Convenia shots for an ear infection and then an infection after getting some teeth pulled. I know that is something that some cats have had problems with when getting the shot. But, this only started recently and it's been 2 months since his last shot. I thought it could be stress because of the move, but we have been here for over a month now and it started a couple weeks ago. It is not like he is constantly having diarrhea, it's just when he goes it's yellowish and runny, not normal. I added some probiotics to his diet but that hasn't changed anything. He has been eating Weruva paw lickin chicken and we haven't changed his food so I don't know what it could be from. My other cat is fine so I don't think it is something contagious either. I'm sure I need to get him to a Vet and have some blood work done, but just thought I would ask here in the meantime to see if anyone had any similar experiences.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I believe yellow stool means bile which would be connected to the liver...Sounds like a vet visit is in order,:(

If anything this will bump you to the top of the list.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  3. Raquel-Mugzee's mama

Yes, I agree, going to make a vet visit. Thanks!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Raquel,

When you're getting the tests done, I suggest asking your vet to run a Snap fPL or Spec fPL test just to make sure the diarrhoea's not due to low-grade pancreatitis. Also, because Mugzee's had the diarrhoea for a while it might be a good plan to ask the vet to check B12 and folate levels too, because protracted GI issues can sometimes give rise to malabsorption problems. These tests aren't typically part of regular blood panels so need to be ordered as additions.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Raquel-Mugzee's mama

Thank you for the name of the tests, I will definitely ask about these!

6. Critter Mom

FYI:

Snap fPL - vet can run it in-house, and it gives a yes/no/unclear result (bit like a pregnancy test).

SpecfPL - sample has to be sent out to external lab, but it returns a numerical result indicative of degree of inflammation present.

Very helpful info in this document:

IDEXX Pancreatitis Guidelines

Mogs

7. Critter Mom

PS: Be sure to let us know how you get on at the vets. :)

Mogs

8. Critter Mom

Hi Raquel,

Just seen Mugzee's avatar pic. Be still, my beating heart! What a beautiful cat!! :cat:

Mogs

9. Raquel-Mugzee's mama

I'm sorry I haven't posted an update sooner. Mugzee had a Vet visit, we did a fecal test which came back normal, no parasites. The Vet didn't want to run blood work because he had recently had blood work and everything was good. She put him on a course of antibiotics to see if that would clear it up. And we added Forti Flora. There wasn't any improvement. So, I have decided to switch probiotics to one with Saccharomyces Boulardii which I read about that stops diarrhea in cats. So, we have just started with this probiotic and it's too early to tell, but this morning his poop was more solid than it's been and a lot more brown than yellow. We will see what happens with this, but I'm hopeful.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

BRAVO! good choice. Glad things are starting to turn around:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.