? positive nitrites in urine?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bobjoh, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Hello! I periodically take a urine sample to the vet to test for ketones (I do have the strips, but like the vet version on occasion). Today Gryphen came back with positive nitrites. That is an indicator of infection, correct? (My vet is part-time and won't get in touch with me until Wednesday; I just happened to get a copy of the report and noticed the positive result.) Ketones are negative, but of course sugar and protein have high numbers since we just started insulin on 1/24. Vet said previously that the diabetes is causing the protein? Nothing else looks out of whack.

If she is put on an antibiotic, is that going to mess with her BG readings? She's never had an infection before; it's an odd coincidence that we started insulin and then she ends up with an infection? I've been reading here that infections are common with sugar kitties?

Thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is an indication of infection in humans but as far as I am aware the nitrites on the human urine test strip don’t mean anything when it’s cats urine. They often used to show up in Sheba’s test strip and the vet said to ignore it.

bobjoh likes this.
  3. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

This was actually a vet test. :(

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If you're worried perhaps you could ask the vet to do a cystocentesis with culture and sensitivity?

Looking at Gryphen's spreadsheet, she has been spending part of the time over the renal threshold. By way of general information, glucose in the urine can make diabetic cats more prone to developing UTIs.

Mogs

bobjoh likes this.
  5. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

I'll mention that when my vet gets in touch on Wednesday. Thanks!

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

7. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Thank you all! Much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.