Post hypo wisdom needed....

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Beth 73, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

At +4 BG was 61...gave 1/2 teaspoon 12 carb snack......20 minutes later BG still 61...kind of freaked so gave 1 1/2 teaspoon hi carb again..........15 minutes later BG 72.... gave 1/2 low carb.........30 minutes later BG 104..........now what ??? Had given a fat 0.5 this morning AMPS of 164 ....obviously too much for that BG........what should dose be PM ? What to watch for ???? We were doing so well and I wanted to try to tweak to see if could keep double digit nadir.....I am bummed

2. Beth 73

Also I use an Alpha Trak meter

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your hypo number (AT meter) was low but not ER low. You did the right thing to get Elmo through it. If he's in his usual PMPS range you could try a regular 0.5 u, not a fat 0.5 u. He's been doing great so far. After a hypo number they can sometimes be more insulin sensitive for a few cycles so careful monitoring is a good idea. If you find that he's moving toward needing smaller and smaller doses, using U100 syringes and the conversion table would allow 0.2u and 0.4 along with fat/skinny versions of those.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

4. Beth 73

Thanks Kris !!!

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

With Vetsulin and AlphaTrack, you should never give a shot if the AMPS is under 200. 225 would be a better choice.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Beth 73

Just posted PMPS of 193....dose advice ??? Going to feed in 15 min

7. Kris & Teasel

I'd say go with a regular 0.5 u. You've given 1 u on this number in the past but lowering to 0.5 u after the hypo number today is being careful. I'd also do a before bed test. If he's going low-ish you could give a bedtime snack of regular low carb wet food and set your alarm clock for a +7 or so to test again.

8. Beth 73

Oh thank u, Kris...I am really ticked at myself for doing this to him ...is this a bounce or reaction to the high carb food given earlier ??? And u think 0.5 is better than fat 0.5 ??

9. Beth 73

What numbers should I be watching for tonight ??

10. Kris & Teasel

You could certainly try a fat 0.5 u. I doubt if it would make a big difference. I suggested 0.5 u as a 'peace of mind' dose. I'd still do a late evening test to see how he goes. The post-hypo insulin sensitivity is something to be aware of. It might not be a problem with Elmo because he's very steady in his response to insulin.

11. Beth 73

By sensitivity u mean 0.5 could have more of an effect than usual ??

12. Kris & Teasel

I think a repeat of today's low at +4 would be a clue that he might need monitoring. If he's in blue or high green at bedtime you'll probably be OK overnight. You could set your alarm to check him around +7 if you're worried.

13. Beth 73

Will I be watching for high or low BGs tonight ?

14. Kris & Teasel

Yes. My guess is Elmo won't overreact but you always want to be aware of how they're doing after a hypo number.

15. Beth 73

I have no problem getting up or staying up....whatever is best for him ....we retired folk r flexible ;)

16. Kris & Teasel

The concern is that you don't want him to go low again overnight when you're asleep and can't intervene as you did today. That's why a little extra thought has to go into planning his evening dose and why a before bed or +4 test is a good idea. That test can indicate where they're heading.

If his +4 this evening looks good - blue or high green - you can probably relax. A little bedtime snack of regular food for Elmo is a bit of a safeguard for his BG if you're still concerned about it going too low past +4. Setting your alarm to see how he is past the nadir is also for peace of mind.

I wouldn't worry about high numbers because Elmo isn't a bouncy cat. Even after the worse hypo you had on 10/30 he didn't really bounce high. As I say, he's remarkably steady in his response to Vetsulin.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  17. Beth 73

Think I will shoot a 0.5 and monitor. Glad for ur encouragement in his progress. I credit it to lots of obsessive free time and lots of prayer :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

Whatever it takes, Beth, whatever it takes ... ;) And who can resist that Elmo face!

19. Beth 73

:bighug:

20. Beth 73

Elmo ate well this morning then just threw up all he ate.....how long do I wait to feed again??

21. Kris & Teasel

Not sure what to say, Beth. I know they need a meal on board for a while before they get Vetsulin. Is vomiting up his meal unusual for Elmo? Does he seem ill? Maybe post this on the main health forum as a new thread with a question mark icon on it asking for help.

I see on your SS that he did fine last night after his 0.5 u dose.

22. Beth 73

He doesn't ever throw up....

23. Beth 73

And he is acting normal

24. Kris & Teasel

Go ahead and post a question about this. Meanwhile, how does he seem - his normal self except for throwing up?

25. Kris & Teasel

Does he ever get furballs? If he's acting normal, that's a good sign. Another Vetsulin user might have more advice for you about how to proceed with feeding and dosing. Generally, if a non-diabetic kitty throws up but is otherwise OK the approach is to withhold food until later on. Not sure what to do when kitty is diabetic and on a faster-acting insulin like Vetsulin. If he was my cat and I hadn't received advice from someone with experience, I'd try calling my vet to ask and/or skip the AM shot. He might go a bit high for PM but it's better than risking a hypo on an empty stomach.

26. Beth 73

I have posted on main forum and yes, he is acting normal...ears not warm and no " sick eyes"(no inner eyelid over his eye)

27. Kris & Teasel

All good signs, Beth. Fingers crossed ... :) He's still eating the same food, right? No changes there?

28. Beth 73

Right now
    All food same... just fed small amount of food cos was sitting by food dish so that's good....will probably go slow for next 30 minutes , feed small amounts then give insulin if he keeps food down ....

29. Kris & Teasel

I saw the other responses. Good advice to feed small amounts and watch him. Keep us posted.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.