Answered

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harold Kunzli, Oct 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Harold seems fine but this is the lowest recorded number I have seen. Trying to test every 15 minutes. Fed him his normal low carb fancy Feast after initial +5 test.
    4.0@+5 (3.6 at the retest)
    3.7@+ 5.25
    3.3@+5.75
    3.7@+6
    Do I give high carb kibble or honey? Or wait and see if he drops more?
    (Also posted on Prozinc forum)

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi, no food. Hold tight and I'll explain more

3. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

3.4@+6.25

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We save the high carb for under 50. Honey/karo for lower than that.

Medium carb possibly in 50s/60s depending on where in the cycle/how big of a drop - for example, if you got this at +2, we'd consider some MC to slow him down a little. BUT, you're at nadir or close to it, these are great numbers! Feeding now, when the insulin is about to start wearing off, will send him into higher numbers.

Since he came up a little big after that food, ai believe you're at nadir. Test again in 30 minutes just to make sure he's on his way up

That said, since you're following SLGS, he did earn a reduction.

JanetNJ and Harold Kunzli like this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You do not need to test every 15 minutes by the way. It takes 20-30 minutes for food to kick in; we usually only test every 15 minutes when we're giving honey/karo or potentially monitoring a big drop. There's no harm though if it gives you peace of mind.

6. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Okay a bit of a premature panic I guess haha. Not used to these numbers. Some pages say hypo starts at 3.6 others say 2.8 and I don't want to kill him lol. I will yest every half hour until I'm sure he's going up..

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries! It's a shot of adrenaline the first few times for sure, especially when following SLGS.

But yes, we always say you're not "out of the woods" until they're rising on their own after 2 hours without food.

Now don't be surprised if he bounces :rolleyes:

Harold Kunzli likes this.
  8. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Hi Karli,
    I know all these numbers are confusing.
    The "take action" numbers FDMB recommends are:
    2.8 mmol/L (50 mg/dL) if using a Human Meter
    3.8 mmol/L (68 mg/dL) if using a Pet Meter

The 3.6 mmol/L you may have read is referenced at the top of the How to treat HYPOS sticky:
    from the Alpha Track2 (Pet Meter) User Manual Page 15
    Hypoglycemia/Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) levels are: Below 65 mg/dL (3.6 mmol/L) for adult cats and dogs.

Harold Kunzli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.