Potentially messed up shot situation/transporting insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolynandlatte, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Latte has an appt for a blood draw and u/a tomorrow at 4pm. Shot time is 6. There is a chance we will be out of there very quickly and home before her shot. There is a better chance we will be stuck in rush hour traffic. Moving the time is not ideal, as it will set me up for a spot checkless a.m. (when she needs them).

I would like to bring her insulin with, in case we have an exit time that would put me in a position where I would have to shoot late (or in the car, LOL). At that point I could see if they would let us hang out at the clinic and just do it there. I can even try to call ahead and let them know.

Questions....
    is this even a good idea if I could get a false reading from stress?

Also...transporting the insulin? Its lantus and I keep it in the fridge. Too cold in MN to leave it in the car. Im assuming having it at room temp for a couple hours is not a good idea, either. Should I pack it in a cooler? Make sure its packed well enough so it doesnt roll around?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Its going to be a leave work early, rush home, swoop her up, and out the door kind of deal. I can try a test before we go. Food will be an issue since she wont accept anything when at the vet (not even treats). Getting her pred will also be an issue because she takes it in treat form. I will likely have to pill her there :YMSIGH: . Oh, ack! Im so not looking forward to this.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on how calm Latte travels in order to get a non-stressed BG reading.

For transporting the insulin, maybe a small cooler bag, some ice but not in between the ice, or just some frozen veggie bags.
    See what others suggest, but I hope it goes well for you both!

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

How late would the shot be if your wait until you get home? Maybe an 1 hour? I know it's better to be on schedule with Lantus, but you will not get a good BG reading either at the vet or in the car. And you mentioned food is an issue. So if it were me, I'd wait until I got home.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree, even if it is a little later than normal, it probably will be better to feed and shoot at home. You can always get back to your normal schedule within a day or two.

5. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

try getting there really early and maybe you'll get out fast.

Next time maybe you could adjust the dose gradually later, the days before the late vet appt.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Those were good points about her possibly being stressed and getting a false reading for a shot. Plus I was worried about carrying around the insulin, especially if I didnt need it.

I ended up having a chance to call them today and they said the process would not take long at all. So, I didnt bring anything. We were home in time for a +11, which showed she took a 100pt drop from the time we left for the blood draw! :shock: (about 1 1/2hrs). This is the second vet visit she has dropped like that. Though this time she REALLY needed it!

Thanks for the thoughts on the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.