? Power’s been out. Is my insulin ok?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Debra and Jill (the cat), Jul 9, 2021.

1. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

Hope this is ok to post here. Our power has been out since around 5:30 pm EST last night. It should be on this evening. Is my insulin ok? I’ve always kept it in the fridge and it is still in there.

thanks in advance!

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

How many hours until the power came back? It should be okay if it was kept out of the sun and the kitchen wasn't blazing hot.
    I lost count years ago how many times I've done this, once left a cat out in an apartment hallway too. :banghead:

3. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

I would be fine with it as long as it didn't show any signs of going bad (cloudy, precipitate, etc.). Human users of Lantus carry them in handbags all day long, so being in the fridge without opening the door is probably okay.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Debra and Jill (the cat)

Debra and Jill (the cat) Member

Thank you! That’s a relief! Estimating that the power comes back in 6-7 hours.

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you get your power back on soon.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I left mine out overnight more than once by mistake without problems. The fridge will be cold so you should be fine. :bighug:

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

After 24 hrs of no power, you should find alternative cooling. Bag of ice where you can take a few cubes out and use them. A Frio insulin wallet that only needs water to keep it cool. I 've used mine a few times when our power was out and if traveling with Ollie.

https://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com