PrednisOLOne and length of time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SullyTheCat, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SullyTheCat

SullyTheCat New Member

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but not to diabetes. I have a 21-year-old diabetic cat (Blue Russian Mix) who has had diabetes (on and off) for the last 5 years. My vet is recommending PrednisOLOne for lameness in his hind legs and is aware of his diabetes. I wanted to find out if anyone here has experience with this steroid and how long it stays in a cat's system. Sully is sensitive to steroids and this is what caused his full-blown diabetes 5 years ago when he almost died.

I am very familiar with steroids and what they do to BSLs (Blood Sugar Levels) as I am a type one diabetic myself. So to say the least, I understand diabetes very well after 30 years - but kitties are a little different of course.

I test Sully regularly and understand BSL management with insulin. I just would like to be prepared for how long an increase in insulin may last. He is on very little insulin .5mgs every 12 hours. And his BSLs stay between 100 - 200.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This is a great site!

Sheri - Sully's Mom

2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Lameness in hind legs with a diabetic cat is likely to be diabetic neuropathy, which prednisolone won't help at all--and could actually make worse, since the steroid will raise blood glucose levels.

Could you post a video of him walking?

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Also, has Sully had blood work done recently? How are his potassium and phosphorus levels?

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.