Prefilling syringes?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Panters-mom, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Panters-mom

Panters-mom Member

Hi there! Preparing for the holiday with a catsitter. Last time we had help we used insulatard with insulin pen - very easy, but now with the prozinc and drawing up insulin everytime with regular syringe... I was wondering - how is it to prepare the syringes in front, with other words - will the insulin be okay for several days in the syringe (in the fridge)? (And of course the bottle will be there too, if there should be a need for change in amount of insulin). Anybody know?

Best regards, Gøril and Panter :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hi Goril ,
    While I know that prefilling syringes is not advised here I have found myself in situations where I had no choice. I’ve experimented with efficacy several times and have not found that prefilling for a few days has effected the insulin. Again, I’ve only done this when I’ve had no other choice but have had to several times.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

No, the lubricant inside the syringe barrel can alter the insulin. Here is a quote from a study done using Lantus, but it applies to insulin in general.

Deb & Wink and Panters-mom like this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that Prozinc mixes the same way with the syringe lubricant as Lantus does.
    Prozinc has a different base than lantus.

The issue with pre-filling the syringes with prozinc, is getting that insulin back into suspension in the tiny volume of the syringe. Hard to shake the small dose in a syringe, and get it mixed back up well.

Goeril, Is your cat sitter going to be able to test Panther?

5. Jessica Tavares

Jessica Tavares New Member

Deb & Wink and Panters-mom like this.
  6. Panters-mom

Panters-mom Member

Thanks everybody! Understand. I guess I can let the two catsitters draw it up them self - it is just me being a control freek trusting myself more with those small amounts and tiny differences..:rolleyes: About testing Deb - not really sure yet, but yes I believe I will be able to teach the catsitters. It's pretty easy now - his ears are use to it and the weather (and ears;) are warm... But I think I will stick close to the insulin dose we are on now (2.4u) - kind of high in the +12, but down in yellow/blue on nadir. Right now I'm trying tiny increase to 2.5u. The two cat sitters are not stepping in before the beginning of July. Does this sound like a good idea?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

A tiny dose increase sounds fine.
    Sure wish there were some BG tests in the PM cycle, after the pre-shot test, to see what is going on with Panter's BG levels then.

Panters-mom likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

There are people that use calipers to measure the tiny doses in the syringe, to get some better consistency. A good thing to do, especially since the markings on the syringe barrels are not always printed accurately. Calipers work.

Panters-mom likes this.
  9. Panters-mom

Panters-mom Member

Hi Deb, will do som PM testing!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Thanks Goeril!