? Preping Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by AlphaCat, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Can I draw Vetsulin into syringes for say, a weeks worth of insulin at a time as long as I keep the syringes in the fridge? (Prep morning and evening shot diseases in individual syringes enough for 7 days.)
    Or must it stay in the vial for some reason?

2. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

I think that they say not to do that because you won't be able to mix it well in a syringe.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think there are two issues:
    1. the insulin needs to be mixed properly because it's a suspension, not a solution - not sure if this works in a syringe
    2. there are lubricants on the syringe plunger that might affect the insulin if it sits in contact for a length of time.

4. Cherish Gallagher

Cherish Gallagher Member

I wouldn't do this.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Are you asking because someone else will be giving shots for a bit or seeing if it can be done for convenience? Just curious :). If it's for someone else to administer, members have mentioned pre-filling a used syringe (don't think you need to waste a new one) with coloured water to appropriate dose to use as a reference ;)

AlphaCat likes this.
  6. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Actually, the thought occured to me b/c of going camping. Because we only have a cooler to keep the insulin cold I didn't want to compromise a whole vial of insulin if the ice ran out or the temp didn't stay constant.
    So I was wondering (for convenience) if this could be done at home. The answers above were good enough for me, so I won't do this. Thank you all for your replies!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh right I did see you mention you were going camping on another thread :).

AlphaCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.