ProBNP test

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Howiesmom, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie had a good check-up at the vet today! Kidneys are good, no major signs of arthritis, urinalysis was good, etc. My vet did listen to his heart and didn’t get any indications of a murmur or anything to be worried about. But he did suggest we look at doing a ProBNP blood test which can give some early indications of heart issues before any clinical signs become apparent. Has anyone else had this test done before?

As for his BG, he is back up to 52 units BID and will probably go up to 57 units on Sunday if he doesn’t start coming down again and staying in decent levels. Today has been a better day for him (AMPS= 125, +5=139). Ugh...time for another major order from Marks again. I have my next bottle of cabergoline on order. He’s been on it for 57 days. I wish when he earns reductions that he can stay there instead of doing good for a little bit and then needing steady increases back up to 50+ units. He also has started shedding like it is summer (I’m in Minnesota so definitely not summer)! Anyone else had to get their furminators out too?!?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have had that test cone on several of my cats. The results for my civi Mia were high and subsequent cardiologist visit the echocardiogram chowed somewhat enlarged heart and high blood pressure was also measured.

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks, Larry! This is helpful to know. Once you had the EKG done, then what did you do for Mia’s heart condition?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

She was placed on a BP lowering med, specifically amlodipine. A subsequent blood test showed increase in ProBNP and echo showed enlarged aorta.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have heard of a few kitties getting the ProBNP. It wasn't out yet before Neko had her first echocardiogram, but it's much cheaper than an echo so a good way to screen for heart issues. Note, you may or may not have and EKG done with a echocardiogram (heart ultrasound).

Howiesmom likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Ollie had the test before we knew about anything else. I had It done on her first vet visit. It came back normal. When I had the abdominal ultrasound done (because she had a very hard distended belly and the gruntal breathing) few days later, the IM picked up galloping heart among other things. 3 days after that, echo was done and she was diagnosed with hcm and put on benazepril. 3 months after that she was dx with acro. So I don't know how accurate it is.

Wendy if you remember Karen /Doodles may they both rest in peace. Acquired Leo from a breeder who had genetic tests done before selling. Supposedly tests were negative. Turned out Leo had hcm.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  7. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Hello...just wanted to chime in and say that Fred had the ProBNP test done in mid-February. This was before I had him tested for Acro/IAA, but we thought it would be a good idea to have a baseline, just in case. His results were normal at that time.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

That is great to hear! Thanks for responding! I hope Fred is doing well!

9. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

QUOTE="Howiesmom, post: 2773458, member: 30789"]That is great to hear! Thanks for responding! I hope Fred is doing well![/QUOTE]
    Of course! If you can stomach the various costs, I’m a big fan of baselines.

Very glad Howie had a good checkup!

Fred... *sigh*. Not a good day. ;-/

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I had a cardiac ultrasound done last week. Maybe I should have gone for the ProBNP test instead? I paid $210 for the cardiac ultrasound and the ProBNP, I think is an expensive test? So maybe I was better off with the more specific information of the ultrasound (I just wrote up some of the report in my post for today). I don't know. If the ProBNP was high, I guess I would have been wondering what was really wrong. It's a good test though. Now I'm trying to remember the last time they checked Darcy's blood pressure (usually I ask for it to be done, but sometimes I forget). I do have a home BP machine. I may have to drag it out and see if I can get some readings on Darcy on a regular basis.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

I was just reading this article on the test from a vet clinic that was started by a friend of mine... it says...

"... the ProBNP test is not perfect, and its results can be skewed from other disease processes in the body. Severe kidney disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, asthma, and chronic pulmonary disease can cause elevations in the ProBNP protein."

They do find it to be a very useful tool though. Just food for thought.

12. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Kierra's ProBNP test in January was 24 so it was normal (<100 pmol/L is normal). The vet has also said her heart sounds good so we aren't doing any follow up echocardiogram at this point. Paula's post above is concerning though... what is genital breathing?

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Who is Leo? Was he Maine Coon?

14. Olive & Paula

Leo was a kitten a departed member bought when her sugar kitty crossed. Leo was not Maine Coon or Rag doll but in the same family. Can't think what he is right now. Member researched breeds to find cats with least predisposed conditions. Found the breeder, who does testing on all her cats.
    Should be gruntal breathing.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

16. Olive & Paula

Pretty positive he does and stomatitis. Had full mouth extraction before he was 1 yr. Turns out the cattery he came from had a few problems with their kittens. New owners filed complaints but I don't think anything came of them. I just can't think what breed he is now. It's a large cat breed though. My Smokey was ragdoll. Her Doodles was maine coone he had hcm.

17. Olive & Paula

Ragamuffin that's the breed.

18. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

The Idexx ProBNP test we did in January cost around $32 USD.

19. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

:D

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you for that information! That’s helpful to know for my other cats, although adding that on to say, a senior blood panel would add to the expense.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  21. Olive & Paula

IMO, if you have to choose one or another, I would do a heart echo. It will give more information as to what the heart is doing and or what it's not doing proficiently.

When my first diabetic had one it showed he had a heart attack we knew nothing about 6 months prior.

Howiesmom and Suzanne & Darcy like this.