ProZinc Dose Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Danidahl, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Danidahl

Danidahl Member

Hello,

I am hoping someone can take a look at my cats sheet and give me some dosing advice or at least their thoughts on. He is currently on 2 units of ProZinc twice a day and gets Fancy Feast Pate. I emailed my vet his numbers this afternoon and was told he needed to be on 3 units. When I commented that that seemed a bit high she told me I just needed to trust her. I have asked her a few times what I am looking for and have been told that he needs to be in the 100's or 200's during his 6+ hour time. That is what he has been in so I am not sure why we need to increase the dose by such a high amount. If someone could let me know their thoughts about moving to 3 units and what exactly I am looking for at the +6 hour mark I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your current dose got your cat down to 167 . 3 may be too much. While you do need a tweak in dose, I'd do it more gradual. I would up it to 2.25 for a few days and see what the numbers do. If it's not enough go to 2.5. jumping from 2 to 3 when you are hitting blue number lows is not a good idea. what would also be helpful is getting more mid day readings. If you can't do a mid day reading every day, then try to get a before bed reading.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

We have dosing methods or protocols (guidelines) we use here.
    Take a look see at this document. It's one of the stickies at the top of the forum.

Sticky PROZINC DOSING METHODS

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Going from those black BG levels to the blues at the next pre-shot indicate to me that the dose is too high, and your cat Carlos is dropping low somewhere in the 12 hour cycle.

I think even the 2U or 2.5U dose was too much, if you've had to skip the insulin shot for so many cycles.
    You did reduce the dose from 2U to 1U when you switched from Vetsulin to Prozinc I see.

You are doing great at always getting those pre-shot tests.
    But if you could test at least once in every cycle, that will help to fill in the pieces of the puzzle. It puts "books" between the "bookends" (the pre-shot tests).

A good test to get is a "before bed time" test, and if possible you want to do that every PM cycle.
    Selecting some random times to test during the middle of the cycle, between +5 to +7 will help you to learn when you cat nadirs. The mid-cycle test doesn't always have to be at +6. So a hour earlier some times, or an hour later other cycles.

Blacks almost ALWAYS indicate bouncing. From a perceived or an actual low BG level.

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  6. Danidahl

Danidahl Member

Thank you so much for your help everyone! We switched vets after having to skip the dose for so many cycles, the previous vet did not have an issue with Carlos only getting insulin once a day and the new vet wanted me to switch to ProZinc.

So I started him on 2.25 today which I am much more comfortable with than moving him up to 3. I will start to get before bed time tests and more random tests throughout the day. Both vets I have seen have told me to stop testing and that it wasnt needed so I am trying to figure out on my own when the best testing times are.

I really appreciate your quick responses! :)

Deb & Wink likes this.